The Carleton Ravens women’s hockey team notched back-to-back wins over the weekend, with contributions from veterans and newcomers. 

The wins came against two different calibre opponents. The Ravens beat College Lionel-Groulx Nordiques 4-0, and prevailed 2-1 over the Ontario Tech Ridgebacks the following day.

Against the Nordiques, a CEGEP team based just outside Laval, the Ravens dominated, outshooting their opposition 54-7. 

The Ravens grabbed two goals through fifth-year forward Hannah Dinovitzer, one from defenceman Angelina Callochia, and another from rookie Stephanie Chouchani who scored her first U Sports goal. 

Third-year goalie Nieve Seeley picked up the shutout. Ravens head coach Pierre Alain said he was happy with the performance, but the team needed to screen the goalie and be more ruthless on offence.

“We have to push the pedal all the way down, from start to end,” he said. “We have owned the puck most of the game but we could be better in terms of scoring.”

The following afternoon, the Ravens won 2-1 over the Ontario Tech Ridgebacks, who finished in a playoff spot in Ontario University Athletics (OUA) women’s hockey last year.

Carleton jumped out to a 2-0 lead with goals by Claire Merrick and Jordan Beshara. The Ridgebacks eventually struck back with a goal by Madeline Schroder, but Carleton goalie Alexandra Lehmann and the defence preserved the win. 

Alain noted the team made improvements in their second game by ramping up the pace, screening the goalie as well as keeping possession of the puck. 

The Ravens have a core group of eight players expected to graduate after this season and over the weekend.

Merrick’s goal was her second with Carleton since transferring from the University of Guelph, where she won a national championship and is a big boost to the roster according to Alain. 

“She’s bringing a lot of experience and a lot of winning mentality,” he said. 

Coach Alain also pointed out how much Dinovitzer has grown over her five years.

“In terms of improvement, she’s probably [one of] my two or three players that improved the most during my years with them,” he said. 

Dinovitzer started off not making the lineup in her first year. “I really wanted to make the lineup and once I did that, why stop there,” she recalled. 

“She’s such a hard worker. She does everything we ask her to do and she’s applied what we’ve teach her,” Alain said. 

She’s grown in confidence over the years as well, added Alain. 

“When I first showed up here, it was way faster than I was used to, everyone was way stronger,” Dinovitzer said. “Now, you have to be confident about what you’re doing.” 

Her confidence came from focusing on the little things and what she could control. Now, she and many of her teammates are nearing the end of their Carleton careers. 

“End it strong,” Beshara, who’s in her fourth and final year, said of her mindset. “Obviously make it into playoffs, hopefully further.” 

“Last year, you have to leave it all out there,” Dinovitzer added. 

The team heads back to the ice on Sept. 19 when they play against the University of New Brunswick at 7 p.m. in Saint John, N.B.

Feature image by Michael Sun.