Dan Robertson

The Carleton Ravens women’s hockey team continued to set program records this season, as they defeated the Université de Montréal (U of M) Carabins by a score of 2-1. The win marked the first time the Ravens defeated the Carabins twice in one season.

Ravens head coach Pierre Alain said the win was a “team win,” because the Ravens were able to limit U of M to only one goal on 53 shots.

“Defensively we played very well, we took care of their sticks, and blocked a lot of shots,” he said. “Defensively, [it] was one of our best games of the season.”

Following a scoreless first period, Ravens forward Hannah Dinovitzer opened the scoring with a bardown shot midway through the second period.

Leah Scott appeared to secure a Ravens victory when he scored an empty net goal with 25 second to go in the game. But the Carabins stormed right back and U of M forward Laurence Beaulieu cut the lead in half only ten seconds later.

“It was a bouncing puck at the blueline, [and] we couldn’t clear it,” Alain said. “Honestly it was kind of a pinball situation, and they just tapped it in.”

Katelyn Steele lead the way in goal for the Ravens. She was able to stop 52 of 53 shots she saw, while Carleton was only able to muster 21 shots themselves.

“She was outstanding, she saw all the pucks, she kept the puck to [herself], she didn’t give up a lot of rebounds,” Alain said. “Also around her, we took care of sticks so they couldn’t take any rebounds but literally, she stole the game.”

Up next on the schedule, the Ravens will host the University of Ottawa (U of O) Gee-Gees on Jan. 13.

Though the Ravens have lost in all three meetings so far this season, they have held the lead on multiple occasions.

“Again, our strength is teamwork, great defensive performance and we need to take advantage of the scoring chances we have,” Alain said.