File photo.

After upsetting the Université de Montréal (U of M) Carabins, the defending U Sports (formerly CIS) champions, at the Ice House on Oct. 23 by a score of 3-2, the Carleton Ravens women’s hockey team fell to the Carabins by a score of 3-2 at CEPSUM on Oct. 28.

The win over the Carabins at the Ice House was a historic one for the Ravens.

It marked their first win over U of M since a 6-5 shootout win on Feb. 5, 2012, and was also their first win this season.

The following game, the Carabins started off the game by scoring five minutes into the first period when Rika Pilon-Robert buried a goal on the power play.

After the game, Ravens captain Tawnya Guindon said she had a message to deliver to her teammates during the first intermission.

“As a leader it’s my job to bring the team together, and the girls were able to pick it up in the second and we bounced back,” she said.

After seven minutes of play in the second period, Carleton forward Delaney Ross was able to put in her own rebound after a wraparound attempt to tie the game at one.

Later in the period, U of M was able to regain the lead once again when Carabins forward Catherine Dubois scored her second goal of the season.

A quick goal to open the third period from Carabins forward Laurie Mercier extended the lead to two.

Midway through the period, Guidon was able to spring Ross and send her on a breakaway. Ross was able to beat U of M goaltender Marie-Pier Chabot for her second goal of the game.

Both teams continued to battle late into the game, though the Ravens were ultimately unable to score an equalizing goal.

Despite the loss, both the players and coaches had a positive outlook after the game.

“This was the best game we played all year, the whole team performed and played hard all 60 minutes,” Ravens head coach Pierre Alain said after the game. “We have a great team but we’re young, we need to work on our physicality and making sure that we are ready to play every game, every practice, and every day.”

“The lines were clicking out there, we played the best we have this year,” Guindon said. “We have a lot of skill and the team atmosphere is amazing.”