The Carleton Ravens women’s hockey team suffered their eighth straight defeat, falling at home 2-0 to the Concordia Stingers on Jan. 12.

The Ravens have yet to score a goal in 2018.

“A very good effort, but we just can’t score,” said Ravens head coach Pierre Alain.

Stingers forward Melinda Prévost pounced on a turnover, as Ravens goalie Katelyn Steele came out of her net to poke check. Prevost chipped it past Steele, and buried it into the empty net to put the visitors on top 1-0.

“She tried, but we turned the puck over in our neutral zone,” Alain said of Steele’s effort. “It’s part of the game.”

The Ravens killed off two Stingers penalties in the period, while failing to capitalize on two of their own. The team’s power play remains scoreless for the season.

However, the team did generate a number of odd-man rushes but again, were unable convert them into goals. Ravens Forward Carly Wouters missed the net on a two-on-one opportunity right after the opening goal.

Early in the second, the Ravens were able to generate another two-on-one rush, this time while shorthanded, but Hannah Dinovitzer’s shot was stopped by Concordia goalie Alice Philbert.

Carleton’s Annie-Pier Tremblay misfired high from in front of the net, while Philbert turned aside Katia Boulianne’s wrister with her blocker.

The odd-man rushes are a key part of the team’s strategy, according to Alain. He said the team has been working on these plays extensively for weeks.

The penalty kill was a perfect four for four as players blocked shots, and Steele came up with big saves. This included a four-minute penalty in the second period.

“We need to be smart. We need to block shots, cut passing lanes and help each other and talk and move,” Alain said of their penalty kill’s success. “This is what we’re working on.”

Concordia extended their lead as Claudia Fortin tipped in a Stephanie Lalancette shot from the blue line five minutes into the third.

The Ravens would have their chance to come back with a 55 second five-on-three with just under seven minutes remaining. Alain called a timeout to organize the team.

The Ravens got Boulianne open from the side, but her shot was deflected wide. The Stingers controlled possession after the penalties were over.

The team pulled Steele for the extra attacker with just over three minute remaining, but it was not enough.

Alain said the team played well defensively but needed to work on their offence.

“We’ve changed lines in the past two weeks” he said. “We’re going to keep trying to find those players that can have chemistry and put pucks in the net.”

Their next chance to break the three-game scoring drought will be at home against the McGill Martlets on Jan. 19.

Photo by Aaron Hemens