The Carleton women’s hockey team is bringing six new players to its team for the 2018-19 season.

One of these players is Amy Doherty, a local hockey player from Ottawa who’s gearing up for both her first year at Carleton as well her start with the Ravens.

Through her last year playing minor league hockey, Doherty had the second highest number of scored points through the Junior Women’s Hockey League (JWHL) with her team, the Jr. Lady 67’s placing second in the JWHL and fourth overall in Ontario’s Provincial Women’s Hockey League. As well, she lists one of her personal favorite accomplishments as when her Bantam AA team placed second in provincials.

As seen by her scored points ranking, emphasis precision at the net is one of her biggest strengths as an athlete.

“Being able to pick a spot of the net has always been my strong suit, as I have practiced target shooting from a very young age,” Doherty said.

She added as well, her perseverance and positivity have gotten her through   sport injuries and have helped with keeping  spirits high.

Doherty said her dad is the person who inspires her the most to play.

“My dad has passed on everything he knows about hockey to me and motivates me every single day to be the best I can be,” she said.

Although she has always had a passion for sports, it took her a while before she finally realized her love for hockey.

“In the beginning, I refused and basically played every other sport, from ballet to swimming before I finally realized hockey was the sport I was meant to play,” Doherty said.

She chose to play for Carleton due to her love for her hometown.

“I am a homebody and knew I wanted to stay close to home for as long as I can remember,” she said.

She cites the welcoming feeling she has gotten so far from the hockey team, coaches and staff as another reason for choosing Carleton.

For the upcoming year, Doherty aims to learn as much as she can from her new coaches and team and keep working to become the best player that she can.While she aims to work hard, she also wants to have fun on the ice with her new team.

“My goal is to be the best hockey player I can be, and work as hard as I can to prove I truly deserve to wear a Ravens jersey,” Doherty said.