(Photo by Kyle Fazackerley)

The Carleton Ravens women’s basketball team came back from a loss against the Wilfrid Laurier University Golden Hawks Nov. 22 to beat the University of Waterloo Warriors 61-46, Nov. 23.

In the game against the Golden Hawks, the Ravens were in the lead for three quarters but ended up losing the lead in the fourth and ultimately lost the game by a score of 58-49.

The Ravens were outscored 16-5 in the final quarter of the game.

“I felt yesterday that I didn’t do my part,” Ravens fifth-year guard Elizabeth Roach said.

In the second game, the Warriors opened the scoring with a basket by Mackenzie Lougheed two minutes into the game.

Heather Lindsay of the Ravens responded seconds later, tying up the score. The Ravens continued to lead the Warriors with a breakaway by second-year forward Lindsay Shotbolt.

At the end of the first quarter the Ravens led the Warriors 13-6.

Warriors guard Marti Killeen sank the first basket of the second quarter to make the score 13-8.

In response, Ravens rookie Alexandra Czich sank two baskets within the opening minutes.

“They’re carrying their own weight without help from us,” Roach said of the Ravens rookies.

The Warriors came close to catching the Ravens in the closing minutes of the half with Caitlin Macleod putting the Warriors within one to make the score 19-18.

Roach made sure the Ravens would stay ahead with a basket in the final seconds of the second quarter giving the Ravens a 23-20 lead going into halftime.

The second half of the game was where the Ravens increased their scoring, especially for first-year forward Heather Lindsay who sank six baskets in the second half.

The Ravens play became more aggressive with Roach deking around players to get a basket with under five minutes left in the third quarter to make the score 31-23 for the Ravens.

The Warriors picked up the pace in the final quarter of the game scoring 16 points.

However the game was put out of reach in the last two minutes of the game when McKenzie Sigurdson sank a three-pointer to put the Ravens up 59-43.

Ravens head coach Taffe Charles was pleased by the result but said his team still has a lot of work to do.

“We don’t do rebounds very well, especially on the defensive end,” Charles says.

He also said the team’s revolving door of injuries has been a problem.

“We haven’t been at full strength for the entire first term,” Charles said.

The Ravens have a record of five wins and three loses in the regular season.

The Ravens are currently tied with the Queen’s University Gaels for second place in the Ontario University Athletics (OUA) East division, two points behind the University of Ottawa Gee-Gees.

Looking forward, the Ravens will face the OUA East leaders, and cross-town rival, the University of Ottawa Gee-Gees Nov. 29, which will be the last game for the Ravens before the winter break.