Carleton guard Kali Pocrnic (4) drives towards the basket in a women's basketball game against the York Lions in November 2021. [Photo provided by Sanmaan Bodake/York Lions]

The Carleton Ravens women’s basketball team played two eventful games against the York Lions last weekend, losing their first game of the season 71-69 on Friday but bouncing back with a 100-68 win on Saturday.

Saturday was the Ravens’ first 100-point game since Jan. 20, 2018.

Friday: Lack of depth leads to historic loss

The Lions scored early Friday, making two baskets in the first minute of the game. York was tough but slow on their feet and the Ravens had a speed advantage over them.

The first quarter of the game was extremely close with the teams remaining within one point of each other.

By halftime, the Ravens were pulling ahead, using their strong offence to finish with a 34-25 lead at the break.

Despite their strengths, defensive stability was a weak spot.

The Lions began to gain ground in the last seven minutes of the game. With five minutes left on the clock, the score was 58-57 for the Ravens.

Head coach Dani Sinclair said Carleton was turning the ball over and giving the Lions multiple chances at the offensive end.

“They were getting second and third chances at the offensive end to score and that really caused problems for us,” Sinclair said. “When you give a team two, three chances, then they’re going to eventually score.”

The lack of roster depth was an energy drain for the Ravens and their defence suffered as a consequence. The Lions drew easy layups and bank shots. After several fouls from both sides in the final seconds of the fourth quarter, the Ravens were unable to claw back.

This game marked the first Carleton loss to York since Jan. 30, 2009.

“There [are] lots of lessons learned in a loss that sometimes get lost or that you miss when you win a game,” Sinclair said. “Obviously, there’s disappointment when you lose, but I think there [is] lots that we can take away.”

Saturday: Ravens bounce back with 100-point victory

In Saturday’s game, the Ravens’ defence was obviously stronger. The team communicated more and the players seemed to be more in sync with each other.

By halftime, the Ravens had a strong 53-25 lead.

The usual key players took a step back, rotating the squad to allow players at the bottom of the depth chart to take the court.

Players like guard Kinly Rice took it as an opportunity to show off their skills, allowing for starters like guard Kali Pocrnic to rest. Sinclair said the team learned from their mistakes on Friday.

“We had a short bench last night,” Sinclair said, “We had people play too many minutes. Then we’re tired at the end of the game in a close game and that probably contributed to some of our miscues because we were fatigued.”

This strategy allowed the Ravens to carry more energy throughout the second game, finishing with the first 100-point game in three years.

“I’m happy for the girls and I’m happy that they’ve found a rhythm offensively,” Sinclair said. “They were really confident at the offensive end.”

The Ravens will break until Jan. 8 when they take on the uOttawa Gee-Gees.

Featured image provided by Sanmaan Bodake/York Lions.