The Carleton Ravens women’s basketball head coach Taffe Charles had a successful recruiting campaign, committing three highly touted prospects to play for Carleton next season.

North Grenville District High School student Emma Kiesekamp was one of the first to commit to playing for Carleton next fall. Kiesekamp is over six feet tall, plays forward and has been on the Ravens’ radar for some time.

“I’ve known Emma since grade 10. Her athleticism and her size is a very rare combination. She’s done triple jump in the past. She gets off her feet very well,” Charles said. “She has a lot of upside and potential.”

Their second signing is guard Madison Reid. Reid attends Carleton Place High School and has earned a reputation for being an elite point scorer.

Both Reid and Kiesekamp play for the Ottawa Elite U19 team.

“She is a great scorer and she’s really a player people have to watch in the future. I just think she has the potential to be a special player in this league. She can really put the ball in the basket. She scored 46 points in an OFSSA game in high school,” Charles said. 

The third signing is Jacey Aikens from Collingwood, Ont., she can play guard or forward and currently plays for the Barrie Royals U19 team.

“She actually comes from a hockey background and so she’s not afraid to be physical. She has great size and great shooting. Great shooting and great size is very hard to come by in this league,” Charles said. “She wanted to come to Carleton and that always helps.”

The recruiting process can be lengthy and takes commitment from both the coach and player.

“Identification is the first thing. Second thing is building a rapport with the kids, with the families,” Charles said. “Usually it is about a year or two process now. To talk to the kids, know the kids, build a trust factor, understand the parents, understand what high school they go to and what environment they come from. It does take awhile.”

Charles is in his 10th year as head coach and has a 208-123 overall record. In 2013, he helped guide the Canadian U16 team to their best finish ever. Canada ended the tournament with a 4-1 record and a silver medal.

Charles said he has high hopes for the Ravens.

“We haven’t had ultimate success as of yet, but I really believe that next year we have a really great opportunity,” Charles said. “This year we have a great opportunity to see ultimate success but next year as well. If everything stays equal I think we’ll be really, really good next year.”