The Carleton Ravens women’s basketball team outlasted the Calgary Dinos 52-42 in a tough and physical battle to clinch a spot in the U Sports semifinals.

“We wanted to get back to our roots,” Ravens head coach Taffe Charles said. “What we’ve been known for is defending and rebounding and I thought that was our focus today and I think the kids did an awesome job of not selling out on that end.”

The Ravens started off slow offensively as Calgary got off to an early 4-0 lead thanks to baskets by Liene Stalidzane and Laura Grabe.

However, Carleton would find their groove and get back into it, leading 11-6 after one quarter. Cynthia Dupont contributed eight points and five assists off the bench. The third-year guard followed a Nicole Gilmore three-pointer with one of her own as Carleton led 17-9. She then drove to the rim for a layup on the next possession.

Gilmore’s play was also key as she was named player of the game for Carleton with 12 points and seven rebounds.

“Gilmore had an awesome game today,” Charles said. “She’s so understated. She’s really important to our basketball team . . . to me, she’s an all-star, she deserved an all-star [honour].”

Gilmore and Stalidzane traded baskets as the game continued to be a defensive battle. Stephanie Carr’s deep three and Heather Lindsay’s layup ensured that Carleton headed into halftime with a 27-17 lead.

As the second half began, Carleton’s lead would grow—but so would the physicality and knocks taken. Ravens guard Jenjen Abella was being treated for her lingering ankle injury while on the bench but still managed to chip in seven points and four rebounds, including a few crucial baskets in the fourth quarter.

The game got more physical as it went on with players colliding and falling often to the hardwood, and both side arguing foul calls.  

Gilmore continued her strong play until she hobbled off with an injury midway through the third quarter. Lindsay’s hand was banged up but she continued to help extend the lead in the second half.

The Ravens opened up a 43-26 edge after a Lindsay layup and an Abella three-pointer; the Hamilton guard celebrated her first points of the game immediately afterwards, a recognition of how important the basket was.

The Dinos fought back to cut the lead to 45-36 with a Brianne Ghali three-pointer but Carleton prevailed.

Charles called the game “not a pretty offensive performance.”

“I think we got to remind ourselves that like often times we can get tired and start doing things individually but we are at our best when move the ball and we really play as a team,” Dupont added.

Both Charles and Dupont acknowledged the potential risk of injury associated with playing more physical basketball.

“Well, I think we just have to be careful with when people do come at us harder and more [grittier],” Dupont said, adding that they also need to “calm down” more going forwards.

Charles said he’s hoping Gilmore will be healthy for the semifinals against the McGill Martlets on March 10 in a rematch of last year’s U Sports semifinal game, which the Ravens lost. 

“The only challenge is are we going to have enough people left,” Charles said. “I think that’s the biggest thing.”