Fourth-year forward Kendall MacLeod couldn't help the Ravens solve the Gee-Gees Jan. 18 at Scotiabank Place (Photo by Pedro Vasconcellos).

In the fifth women’s edition of the MBNA Capital Hoops Classic, the Carleton Ravens women’s basketball team lost a thrilling 59-55 game to their cross-town rival University of Ottawa Gee-Gees Jan. 18 at Scotiabank Place. It was the first time the Ravens lost to the Gee-Gees at the annual event.

Ravens head coach Taffe Charles said he was happy with his team’s play, but disappointed with the loss.

“Our players dug deep and played really hard tonight, so we have to take from our effort and hopefully translate it in our next games,” he said.

Both teams started well, with the scoring going back and forth on the first few possessions. Forward Ashleigh Cleary’s nine points in the first frame, part of her game-high 21, led the way for the Ravens, as they held a narrow 18-16 lead after one quarter.

The Gee-Gees were the dominant team to start the second quarter, as they shut down the Carleton offence to pull themselves ahead early. However, Carleton’s offence took over with a late 10-2 run to take a 34-31 lead into halftime.

Ottawa took control early in the third quarter with strong defensive play, holding the Ravens without a point for nearly the first five minutes of the quarter.

Hannah Sunley-Paisley, the leading scorer in the Ontario University Athletics (OUA) this season, scored the Gee-Gees’ first seven points of the quarter to put Ottawa back in front. Carleton needed another late quarter rally to keep the score close, and a late triple by Jessica Resch gave the Ravens a slim 42-41 lead after three quarters.

The intensity both on the court and in the stands picked up in the fourth quarter, as both teams traded baskets throughout the frame, and the crowd went wild with each basket scored.

Neither team was able to solidify a lead, as both teams scored at will in thrilling end-to-end action. With time running out, Krista Van Slingerland hit an open three-pointer to give Carleton a slim three-point lead with just over two minutes left in the game.

On the next possession, Jenna Gilbert wreaked havoc on the Ravens defence with an and-one to tie the game, followed by nailing another jumper to give the Gee-Gees a two-point lead with under a minute remaining. With the seconds ticking away, Gilbert again came through once again, picking off a Ravens pass to seal the victory, giving Ottawa the 59-55 win and their first MBNA Capital Hoops Classic win.

“It is so nice to finally say we won at Cap Hoops,” said an ecstatic Sunley-Paisley, who lost in the previous four editions, and led her team with 15 points and 12 rebounds. “Hopefully, we can keep up our momentum going into the playoffs.”

The Gee-Gees win added to their team’s current 11-game winning streak, while the loss dropped the Ravens season record to 8-5. They’ve now lost three of their last six games.

Carleton will hope to rebound with two home games on Jan. 20 and Jan. 21 against Queen’s and the Royal Military College respectively.

“Hopefully, we can get a bit healthier, since our practices suffer when we’re not a full team,” Charles said. “We have to cut down on our mistakes in practice, and see if we can get on a roll going forward.”