More than 40 bands, the majority of them from Ottawa, are playing Feb. 3-5 as part of a new music festival, “Megaphono.”

Megaphono takes place in venues across the city including House of Targ, Pressed, St. Alban’s Church, and, for the first time ever, the Diefenbunker in Canada’s Cold War Museum.

Megaphono also includes networking events and speaking engagements with music industry professionals and entrepreneurs from around the world.

According to Lesley Marshall, programming manager for Megaphono, the line-up was curated to include up-and-coming groups and more established musicians such as Juno-nominated folk singer Amanda Rheaume and Boyhood.

Marshall said the festival has included various genres like indie, electronic, alternative rock, metal, punk, folk, and pop.

“The goal of Megaphono is to try connecting local artists to music venues and businesses in Ottawa and other regions,” Marshall said. “We want to show our out-of-town guests the best Ottawa is.”

Marshall said in the networking events, musicians and music entrepreneurs will have the chance to pitch ideas to various music industry professionals, from book agents to music supervisors.

One of the performers Catriona Sturton said it is unique to have a mix of music and people that all makes things happen.

“Being part of a festival that has shows in a bunker is something that few festivals can compare to,” Sturton said.

Professionals like Jill Krajewski, content co-ordinator at Audio Blood, a Toronto-based artist and brand development firm, are looking to discover fresh, new sound from the festival.

“[Megaphono] is the best way to get a concentrated dose of solid Ottawa musicians and see a music community with international potential,” Krajewski said. “Megaphono is a statement: Ottawa has a growing music industry, and it’s open for business.”

“Hopefully, we’ll see success stories within the next few months or so,” Marshall said.