(Graphic by Austin Yao)

Ottawa’s only a boring city if you’re a boring person.

The capital, which according to the Ottawa Citizen won an award for being Canada’s most boring city last year, is actually home to a vibrant nightlife . . . as long as you know where to look.

Babylon and Ritual are two choice places to go to meet people.

Students from all three nearby schools—Carleton, University of Ottawa and Algonquin—go there. Both places have house party basement feels.

If you like the sound of that, it’s also worth checking out Undisposable, an event sponsored by local brand Bad Habits (chances are you’ve noticed the BH stickers all over campus).

There’s a different DJ and different location every time, organizers always aim for that same fun house party atmosphere. In the past, it’s been held at Mugshots, a bar inside a hostel that used to be a jail, St. Brigid’s, an old church thatís now an arts venue, and Babylon.

Organizers hand disposable cameras out into the crowd, then collect them all later, develop the pictures, and make a Tumblr of all the photos.

The music is also a definite draw.

“Everyone we’ve booked has gone on to do big things,” Bad Habits founder Chieff Bosompra said. Bosompra noted DJ Shub from A Tribe Called Red, NDMA, a local DJ who has played Bluesfest, and High Klassified, who was recently signed to Brooklyn-based label Foolís Gold as a few.

Undisposable happens sporadically throughout the year, but Bosompra said keep an eye on the Bad Habits’ Facebook page to find out when itís coming up next.

If you’re looking for something a little bit more off the beaten path try heading over to an up-and-coming neighbourhood called Hintonburg.

One bar in particular that’s worth a visit is the Elmdale Tavern.

The open concept lay-out and atmosphere give it a different feel than anything downtown.

Another smaller party that’s absolutely worth trying out is Silk.

Held at Raw Sugar, it’s an R&B dance party that happens the third Saturday of every month.

For those students who arenít 19-years-old yet, there’s always Gatineau. Le Bop is always a trusty choice on the other side of the bridge.

Its two dance floors and upstairs patio make it one of the biggest bars in Hull.

For anyone lucky enough to not have class on Friday mornings, there’s a great deal on Thursday nights at Barrymore’s, an old music hall that’s been converted into a club with two bars and three different levels.

Show your student card to skip paying cover, and if you grab your drinks before midnight they’ll only be $3 each!