Photos by Julian Gignac.

The following blogs and Youtube channel are some of the examples of ordinary people-based media that present people, just as they are.

Humans of New York – In 2010, Brandon Stanton set out on a journey to photograph 10,000 New Yorkers and plot their photos on a map to create a catalogue of New York’s inhabitants. Though somewhere along the way, Humans of New York transformed into a blog that shares the quotes and short stories of the New Yorkers who Stanton had met. Now a social media giant and global phenomenon, Humans of New York provides a worldwide audience with glimpses into the daily lives of the people of New York.

fDedraPersonals19_JulienGignac_(WEB)Billy on the Street – YouTube sensationalist, Billy Eichner, runs around New York City asking strangers if they agree with his opinions on celebrities– whom he drags along on his street interviews. This hilarious YouTube channel that is featured on FunnyorDie.com paints a portrait of the guarded, yet charming, lives of celebrities and of the strangers he runs into on the streets.

The Sartorialist – The Sartorialist is a street-fashion blog Scott Schuman started back in 2005. As part of the wave of blogs that focused on ordinary people, Schuman created The Sartorialist as “a way of getting the everyday romance of people who I saw on the street,” he told the Chicago Tribune. “I was not a journalist. I just wanted photos of them, and clothes helps tell a story of who they are.”