Worries about the end of the COVID-19 crisis take a toll on Canadians [Graphic by Sara Mizannojehdehi].

COVID-19 has taken an emotional toll on Canadians, and the uncertainty over the pandemic’s end has some more stressed than ever.

On June 2, Ontario Premier Doug Ford extended Ontario’s state of emergency by another 28 days. Including the extension, the state of emergency’s run-time reached a staggering 104 days. 

The decline in national cases of COVID-19 has many people wondering when the pandemic will end.

Previous pandemics seem to end in one of two ways: either medically with the introduction of medication or a vaccine or socially when populations have successfully ended the virus by following restrictions. In order for a pandemic to be officially declared as ‘over,’ mass herd immunity must be achieved by a vaccine or cases must decrease enough to stop more community spread.

So far, neither of those two conditions have been met by any province in Canada. There is still a lot of work left to be done to eradicate this virus.

Dr. Kim Hellemans, professor and chair for the department of neuroscience at Carleton University, said the sudden shift to isolation saw a rise in anxiety and depression as workplaces, schools, and businesses closed and people began to sacrifice their mental wellbeing to help slow the spread of COVID-19.

“There are some folks who, because of prior mental health or prior trauma, they are unable to adapt to that change in environment,” Hellemans said.

Even with Ontario beginning stage two of its reopening plan, there are still concerns among experts about a second wave hitting Ontario and other provinces.

“That change in environment is more stressful than anything and it can lead to consequences of increased inflammatory factors, decreased immune functioning, and a waft of physical and mental health disorders,” she explained.

While waiting for the outcome of the pandemic, many people have been filling their time finding hobbies and other activities to do.

“I have the time to clean my room, do hobbies, talk with friends a lot more, and cook,” Charly Lalonde said. 

A third-year emergency management and emergency technology student at Montmorency College in Quebec, Lalonde said following COVID-19 precautions has taken a mental toll. 

“I’m also not fully stepping out of the house and a lot more anxious and frustrated at times. The second wave hasn’t hit yet and we’re already starting to see a surge again in cases here.”

Even though they may be finding more time to re-engage in hobbies, many Canadians are growing restless as they continue to wait for news as to when things can return to normal. 

However, some students report that a sudden return to normal might lead to a “reverse culture shock” for individuals who have become more comfortable with being alone.

John Borth, a second-year Carleton neuroscience student, said he adjusted to staying in, and likes the idea of curbside pickups, but worries it will affect his mental health in the long-term.

“I fear it’s going to serve to enable my reclusion going forward,” he said.

He listed previous challenges with agoraphobia as part of the reason why he’s nervous about going back out and participating in society like he used to.

Hellemans said Borth isn’t alone.

“There are going to be people who develop severe anxiety and not want to be out in public and will be anxious in public, particularly if they have underlying health conditions,” Hellemans said. “You may see people who are extremely eager to get back out in public, and many different people in-between.”

Dr. Hellemans highlighted the Ottawa Distress Center’s 24/7 helpline along with EmpowerMe, a mental health and wellness service available to all Carleton undergraduates as important mental health resources.

“Make sure you’re checking in on your friends,” Dr. Hellemans advised. “It’s really important that people check in with each other.”

Featured graphic by Sara Mizannojehdehi.