The Carleton University Students’ Association (CUSA) and the Rideau River Residence Association (RRRA) have declared solidarity with Ontario education workers part of the Canadian Union of Public Employees (CUPE).

What is being disputed?

The Ontario School Board Council of Unions (OSBCU), a province-wide union representing 55,000 education assistants, custodians, librarians and office administrators, has been in tense negotiations with the Ontario Government about renewing their collective bargaining agreement, which expired in August.

On Nov. 3, the union went on strike despite threats of large fines due to Ontario’s Bill 28, which invoked the notwithstanding clause and made the strike illegal.

Ontario’s Education Minister Stephen Lecce released a statement on Twitter that said his government’s decision to pass Bill 28 was made with the intention of keeping students in class.

Amid tense negotiations between the OSBCU and the Ontario government, CUSA and RRRA gathered for a demonstration in the Carleton University Quad on Nov. 4 in solidarity with the striking education workers. More than 80 student signatures were collected at the demonstration in support of the OSBCU.

On Nov. 7, after two days of striking, Premier Doug Ford and the CUPE agreed to return to bargaining on the condition that  CUPE ends its strike and Bill 28 is repealed. 

Why does bargaining matter to students?

Simon Harris, CUSA board vice-chair and member of CUPE 4600, which is currently bargaining with Carleton University, said the union’s dissatisfaction begins with the government’s willingness to invoke the notwithstanding clause.

“It’s particularly scary that if labour negotiations aren’t going well, [the government] can just legislate [workers] back to work,” Harris said. “Knowing that the employers can have that in their back pocket can be really scary to union workers.”

Many students at Carleton University could face issues if bargaining between CUPE 4600 and the university stalls like negotiations between the OSBCU and the Ontario government, according to Faris Riazudden, CUSA vice-president (student issues).

“We saw how much [the bargaining] has been affecting students and their TAs, and wanted to support them,” he said.” If their TAs aren’t happy, if their contract instructors aren’t happy, then what is the use?”

Riazudden added many international students who are teaching assistants no longer feel secure about their living conditions and wages. 

“Now [those conditions] aren’t being accepted,” he said, adding that many are hesitant to enter a career in education.

A member of CUPE 4600 and two CUPE picket captains speak to students during a rally in the Carleton University quad on Friday, November 4, in Ottawa, Ont. [Photo by Sama Oumari]

Why is CUSA taking a stance?

Several CUSA executives said over the past few weeks, students have asked them to take a stance amid the bargaining between OSBCU and the Ontario Government.

“As executives, it’s our responsibility to live up to the expectations that students are wanting of us,” Anshika Srivastava, vice-president (student life), said.

On Nov. 3, CUSA held an emergency e-vote to declare their support and solidarity with CUPE education workers. The motion passed unanimously with 19 councillors in favour.

CUSA president Anastasia Stoikos-Lettieri said CUSA’s actions will extend beyond solidarity, with plans to promote staff respect, raise awareness to the cause. Riazudden added CUSA will improve upon its advocacy with these discussions.

CUSA is currently negotiating new collective agreements with its CUPE staff.

Some students took to social media, claiming Stoikos-Lettieri’s past involvement with the Conservative party and the Carleton Conservatives conflicted with her public support for labour rights. 

In an email to the Charlatan, Stoikos-Lettieri said she has not been employed by the Conservative Party for more than a year and she resigned from the Carleton Conservatives in the summer as their values no longer reflected hers.

“I have received outreach from students and I agree with them that it is important for the president of CUSA to have values that align with the association and the students we represent,” she wrote. “I am no longer affiliated with any political parties.”

For now, CUSA’s focus is on making sure its support for CUPE is heard.

“We will continue to listen to students, act on their needs, advocate for their values, and be a leading organization in the pursuit of better education systems for our students,” Lettieri added.

This story was last updated on Nov. 9.

Featured image by Sama Oumari.