The water main rupture that caused road closures and the water to be turned off in Prescott and Renfrew residences Nov. 25 has been repaired.

The issue, first discovered at approximately 11:25 a.m. Nov. 25, was fixed by 5 a.m. the following morning, according to University Safety.

Darryl Boyce, Carleton’s assistant vice-president (facilities management and planning), said the rupture was caused by an “unusual” hole in the pipe . The hole “could have been there for some time” before it was noticed, Boyce said.

The pipe needed to be dug up, cut, and have a new fitting placed over the cut section, Boyce said.

Boyce said though he is “not expecting any more problems in the same spot . . . you never know with an older line like that, it could happen somewhere else.”

Similar problems have occurred in past years. Boyce said the pipe has been in the ground for 50-60 years and it is more cost effective to do yearly repairs than to replace an entire water main system.

David Sterritt, director of housing, said residence students in Prescott and Renfrew were informed of the issue via email, and directed to the nearest washroom and shower facilities in neighbouring buildings. He said water bottles were distributed to students to compensate for the loss of water.

Chantel Cugin, a Prescott resident, said the worst part of the water cutoff was the inability to flush toilets or to shower, but aside from that she said she was not too inconvenienced by the problem.