Provided

Walk Off The Earth, a Canadian indie rock group, will be headlining this year’s Fall Orientation outdoor concert on Sept. 9.

The band is known for their original music, such as the song “Rule the World” from their 2015 album Sing it All Away, and creative covers of popular pop songs. Their cover of Gotye’s “Somebody That I Used to Know”, featuring all five group member playing one guitar, currently has over 170 million views on YouTube. Walk Off The Earth also won Group of the Year at the 2016 Juno awards.

“We certainly felt they would bring the most vibrant personality and be the most engaging and connect with students,” said Jeremy Brzozowski, manager of Carleton’s Student Experience Office (SEO).

Carleton’s Fall Orientation concert was played by Lights in 2015 and Chromeo in 2014. This is the second time Walk Off The Earth has played at Carleton in recent years. They also played the concert in 2013.

Brzozowski said the last time the band played they were just starting their career and it was one of the best received concerts Carleton had hosted.

“[Walk Off the Earth] has a few more years under their belt and we have no doubt that their production will be bigger and better,” he said.  “The number of hits in their catalogue has increased so we feel this will be a really solid fit for us this year.”

The concert will be open to all students, but Brzozowski said the number of tickets sold to upper year students will be limited.

He said the group will be touring Ontario in September and will play on Sept. 4 at the Canadian National Exhibition in Toronto a few days before their concert at Carleton. Brzozowski added it also makes financial sense for the university as the band will be close by anyway.

“To have them come to our campus at this point in their career is something that we’re thrilled about.”