Home Sports Veteran Ravens soccer players moving on

Veteran Ravens soccer players moving on

177
This is captain Sam McHugh's last year as a Raven. (Photos by Willie Carroll)

On the field, Sam McHugh bellows orders, crunches into tackles and can pick a pass from 30 yards away. Off the field, the man the Ravens fans have dubbed “Sam Rooney” is oddly quiet.

McHugh, along with Ravens keeper Mark Krocko, pulled on their Ravens jerseys for the last time Nov. 10 at the Canadian Interuniversity Sport (CIS) national championships in Quebec City.

McHugh is set to graduate, and Krocko finishes his five years of CIS eligibilty this year.

McHugh was handed the captain’s arm-band this year after racking up a tremendous seven goals in the 2011-12 season. According to Ravens head coach Sandy Mackie, he embraced the role.

“He was fifth-year and he’s done very well,” Mackie said.

With over 60 appearances and 15 goals to his name, McHugh is an enterprising midfielder, whose tenacity has endeared him to Ravens fans.

Every game, chants of “There’s only one Sam Rooney” can be heard echoing from the stands when McHugh gathers the ball and lifts his head.

For his part, he’s quick to deflect attention and pay tribute to his team and Mackie.

“[The team] really helped me grow up a lot and it’s been a great five years,” McHugh said. “Mackie really helped me grow as a player and he really cares for you as a person and looks out for you.”

Mark Krocko
Krocko has been a constant fixture between the sticks since arriving in Ottawa after a three-year stint at St. Francis Xavier, while McHugh has been a presence in the centre of the park for the five years he’s played on the team.

A local boy, McHugh grew up in Russell and would lace up his cleats to turn out for Gloucester and the Ottawa Royals Soccer Club.

That local connection, according to Mackie at least, is what has defined McHugh as a player for the Ravens.

“He’s got great character, he never misses training and he’s a classic Carleton player,” Mackie said.

For Krocko, the worry about coming to a new school evaporated as soon as he stepped onto the field.

The master’s student said he’s experienced nothing but warmth and help from the Carleton community.

Mackie said that any player is made to feel welcome at Carleton.

“That’s the Ravens, we embrace them all as long as they share our team values and work hard,” he said.

Speaking before the fifth-place consolation game against the McMaster Marauders, Krocko admitted that the idea of pulling on the jersey for one last time was daunting.

“It’s weird because there’s been so many games in the past few weeks where I haven’t known if it was going to be my last,” he said. “Every win extends my career just a little bit longer.”

With time left to go before he’s done his master’s degree in electrical engineering, he’s keen to remain involved in soccer.

He’s a coach for an under-13 boys team based in West Ottawa. Under his watchful eye, they were promoted this year.

Soccer has been a passion of his and he says he sees no reason to ever lose sight of that.

For his part, McHugh is unsure what the future holds.

“I haven’t thought about it to be honest, I’m sure in a couple weeks it’ll hit me,” he said.

With nationals now over, and a sixth-place finish under their belt, both players want the remaining Ravens to savour that feeling.

“It’s going to be a part of me forever. I started playing when I was five, I’m now 25,” Krocko said. “There will never be a bigger highlight, and there will never be a higher level that I play at.”