Home Arts Vertigo celebrates 10 years of vinyl

Vertigo celebrates 10 years of vinyl

192
(Photos by Willie Carroll)

Amidst the discussion on the future of music, one shop is proving sometimes people just want something to hold in their hands. Local shop Vertigo Records, which primarily sells vinyl records, is celebrating its 10th anniversary Oct. 10.

Over the last few years, records have become increasingly popular. Vinyl sales leaped 17.7 per cent in 2012, according to billboard.com. And while the surge in popularity has only hit in the most recent years, a slower market didn’t stop Vertigo owner Darin Tomlin 10 years ago.

“Our main focus has always been records, since day one,” Tomlin said.

“The resurgence in popularity has allowed us to expand our selection, with the majority of new releases now being readily available on vinyl, unlike they were 10 years ago,” he said. “Many obscure and out-of-print titles are also being reissued and re-mastered so customers are able to find titles on vinyl a lot easier than they used to, as opposed to settling for them on CD.”

aVinyl10_WillieCarroll_(WEB)But it’s not just obscure titles being issued on vinyl. More and more local bands are creating physical copies of their music.

Shahman, a band based in Ottawa, has released two 7” records and an LP.

Rob Johnson, one-half of the band’s duo, said records evoke more than a digital download. While the band started off buying their music on CDs, when they learned about records, they jumped at the chance to expand their collection.

“Records allowed us to bring our obsession with physical music to another level,” he said. “Vinyl creates a kind of emotional response. I’ll take a record off the shelf and it will remind me of a specific time and place.”

But Johnson said it’s important to include digital downloads for people who are just getting into vinyl. Shahman includes download codes with all their records.

Tomlin said he’s also aware of how important digital downloads are to the music industry.

“I think people will always want that convenience and the accessibility of digital libraries,” he said. “While records may be popular right now, I believe it will always be a niche market.”

But for Tomlin, the physicality of records plays a big part.

“A lot of people simply want that physical product in their hands, or in their collection. They want the artwork on the album cover, they want to read the liner notes, and they enjoy the actual physical action of playing a record on their turntable,” he said. “Pushing buttons on an iPod just doesn’t cut it for some people.”

Being involved in the process and the community is an important part of the culture.

Jonathan Becker, whose band Dead Weights has released a 7” record on vinyl, said the sense of community is part of the reason his band puts their music on vinyl.

“We release vinyl because it appeals to our community of music lovers and fan base,” Becker said. “We all listen to records, we like owning records, so we want to also engage and facilitate that experience for our friends and fans.”

This sense of community extends to Vertigo Records, where Becker shops for his own records and where the band sells their music.

“I’m a huge fan of Vertigo Records. Their owner, staff, and selection. It’s a true gem in what’s definitely a dying breed—the local record store,” he said. “I have been shopping there since its earliest days and will continue to support them. I get excited releasing vinyl and seeing it in my favourite record stores. It’s a strange elation but you feel like part of the culture.”

And while popularity might be increasing, Tomlin said the areas of interest are always changing.

“The top-selling genres of recent years tend to be the larger ‘alternative’ bands such as Arcade Fire, Black Keys, et cetera. When we began in 2003, our top seller was hip-hop . . . that market all but died within six months. We went from having 16 rows of hip hop records, down to three rows within a year,” he said.

“The trend at the moment is a lot of 90s grunge and alternative bands reissuing their long out-of-print albums on vinyl,” Tomlin said. “At the time of their original release, they were more of a novelty and not produced in large numbers, making them difficult to find. Now, record labels are cashing in on the popularity.”

And while records are the main focus, the shop occasionally hosts in-store performances and have started their own independent label called Uncle D Records.

Vertigo will ring in their 10-year anniversary Oct. 10 at Maverick’s. Bands SNFU, Ab Irato & Flying Fortress are playing, with tickets available in-store.