The University of New Brunswick Varsity Reds won their fifth national title in 10 years after defeating Atlantic University Sport (AUS) rival St. Francis Xavier University X-Men by a score of 3-1 at the Canadian Interuniversity Sport (CIS) University Cup finals in Halifax.

“It feels like the first one—you have to work so hard,” Varsity Reds head coach Gardiner MacDougall said.

“Obviously we’ve had the opportunity to be at the national final a number of times,” he said. “It’s such a fine line when you play that national final game. I can’t say enough about the group. They’ve been outstanding—we had a great second half.”

The University Cup finals was a rematch of the AUS finals. The X-Men won both games to sweep the series earlier this month.

“We don’t get to where we are today probably without losing the AUS final. Sometimes you need adversity to go to another step,” MacDougall said.

Chris Clapperton opened the scoring for the Varsity Reds midway through the first period when he was able to bury a wraparound.

The X-Men answered back when Zack MacQueen knotted the game at one in the final minute of the frame when he was able to deflect a snapshot from the point.

The Varsity Reds initially stifled the X-Men attack and outshooting them 9-1, but by the end of the first period the shots were only in favour of the Varsity Reds by 14-10.

Midway through the second period Francis Beauvillier and Tyler Carroll scored goals 17 seconds apart to gain a two goal lead.

The Varsity Reds defence continued to contain the X-Men attack and never surrendered another goal.

In three games at the University Cup, the Varsity Reds only allowed two goals, and goaltender Etienne Marcoux stopped 49 of the 51 shots that he faced.

Philippe Halley lead the offence for the Varsity Reds. He scored a three goals in each of his first two games, then added an assist in the finals. For his efforts, he was named the University Cup most valuable player.

Both players attributed the efforts of the team as a reason for their success at the tournament.

“I didn’t face a lot of shots all tournament,” Marcoux said. “And this game in the third period I didn’t face a lot of shots too.”

“The guys were blocking shots, they were committed to the team—it’s just a great team effort,” he said.

“My line mates and teammates worked hard during the last week just to get ready for this tournament,” Halley said. “I think I just had the bounce this weekend, like I said it’s a team effort and the only thing that matters right now is we won this game.”

The win marked the fifth national title in the last 10 years for the University of New Brunswick, and they’ll have a chance to defend their title at home next season as hosts of the tournament.

“There’s a legacy here with this hockey program,” Marcoux said. “When I committed this summer, I knew we had a chance to win the national [championship] and here we are today.”

“Like I said, we’re a team, great chemistry, we all care for each other and this is the result,” he said.

“When you leave UNB you want to leave a legacy and thats what we are doing right now—we just won a championship and we want to keep it that way,” Halley said.