Losing the momentum that propelled them into a playoff spot the weekend before, the Carleton Ravens men’s hockey team lost game two of three in their first-round series against the University of Toronto Varsity Blues Feb. 18 in Toronto.

After outscoring their opponents by a 19-5 margin in their previous three games, the Ravens fell 3-0 to the Blues in their second meeting this week to put the series at 1-1. The game was a must-win for the fourth-place Blues.

The first period was scoreless, as both goaltenders stood tall on numerous chances.

“I thought that we played well in the first,” said Ravens head coach Marty Johnston. “We didn’t bury our chances. I thought their goalie came up with some big saves.”

The Ravens just couldn’t find their wings for the majority of the game, partly due to the spectacular play of Blues’ goaltender Garrett Sheehan, who saved all 36 shots he faced.

Blues’ rookie forward Tyler Liukonnen was also a force in the game, scoring the first two goals 35 seconds apart in the second period to put the Blues up by a commanding 2-0 lead.

“Obviously the two quick goals were disappointing,” Johnston said. “Just minor mistakes but all in all, I don’t think we played bad, but we didn’t get the goals that we needed.”

“I think the problem was that they were playing in their home arena,” said second-year Ravens centre Jordan Deagle. “They had lots of energy and they’re used to this atmosphere, they’re used to the rink.”

The chances seemed pretty even throughout the rest of the game, but the Blues were able to capitalize on theirs.

“They were moving the puck better so we couldn’t establish our forecheck at all, which is a big part of our game,” Deagle said. “I think that definitely hurt our energy level.”

About halfway through the second period, Ravens defenceman Christian Bourdeau-Mifflen was hit from behind and had to leave for the remainder of the game, but no call was made on the play.

“It was a pretty bad hit,” Deagle said. “It was right in front of the bench so we could all see it. That’s something I’m sure the league will put under review because it wasn’t a very good hit.”

The Ravens will play another tough game Feb. 19 in Toronto to decide who will continue in the playoffs and who will be sent home packing.

“We just have to come out harder,” Deagle said. “We have to establish that forecheck that’s so important to our game. I think if we can do that early and keep the momentum going then we’ll be fine. But if we come out kind of flat-footed like we did tonight then it will be pretty interesting again.”