The Carleton Ravens men’s hockey team can expect a little more local muscle this year in new recruit Ryan Van Stralen, as the former Ottawa 67’s forward has committed to the program for the upcoming season.

The 67’s failed to make the Ontario Hockey League (OHL) playoffs in Van Stralen’s final two junior campaigns, and he said he’s looking forward to getting back into the winning department with the Ravens annual success.

“It’s just a new chapter of life and I’m pretty excited to get started,” Van Stralen said.

With the Ravens capping off their most successful year to date in the 2013-14 season with a trip to Canadian Interuniversity Sport (CIS) national championships, Van Stralen said he’s ready to do whatever it takes to help the program keep winning.

The Prescott, Ont. native said staying close to family and friends was an important factor in his decision.

He will be joined on the squad next year by a familiar face in Ravens defenceman Jake Cardwell, a former 67’s teammate.

“I played with Jake Cardwell for about a year and a half or so in Ottawa. Getting back on the ice with him will be fun,” he said.
Van Stralen said the calibre of players on the team speaks volumes for what the Carleton coaching staff has done, as the team is now attracting several graduating major junior players with local ties every season.

Ravens head coach Marty Johnston said Van Stralen will be a key addition to an already-competitive lineup.

“We feel that with what he can bring, he can certainly add to our team and hopefully push us over the edge,” Johnston said.
Johnston said Van Stralen’s six-foot frame brings a lot of size to the team, but noted his major junior scoring skills will also be a key asset to Carleton’s forward core.

In three seasons with the 67’s, Van Stralen scored a total of 52 goals and added 63 assists in 182 games.

Van Stralen said he expects the strength of the players at the CIS level to be the biggest difference from playing in the OHL.

But despite the change in competition from the OHL to the university level, he will remain in the same city he’s spent his three-year major junior career in.

Johnston said Van Stralen will be the first player in Ravens history to have spent his entire OHL career with the 67’s.

“We’ve had guys before with links to [the 67’s], but never their full career,” Johnston said. “I hope it transitions into many more players in the future.”