It is difficult to describe a ‘typical’ university experience in India because there simply isn’t one. An essential characteristic of the system and the country itself is the sheer variety and mosaic of opportunities available for Indian students.

According to Saumya Ramakrishnan, who studied on exchange at Carleton but is originally from Mumbai, “the difference between universities is unbelievable.”

“Also, cities play a huge role. For example, a student who wants to pursue a career in political science will be better off going to Delhi, while universities in Mumbai are well known for media, hotel management and fashion courses because of its vibrant culture,” she said.

She said the campus life aspect was a major part of her choice to study journalism at Jai Hind College in Mumbai.  

“My school always encouraged students to take up hobbies and interest activities.”

Like many students, Saumya said she was heavily involved in campus activities such as the cultural or literature group, and organizing inter-college activities.

She said student life in India was easier in some ways since she lived at home with her parents, which is typical for students studying in their home city.

Also, in India it is generally expected that parents pay for their children’s education.  

“Education in India is reasonably affordable for a typical Indian middle class family… pretty much all education expenditure is incurred by parents, which makes it easier to focus on studies,” she said.

In fact, according to a report from the Federation of Indian Chambers of Commerce and Industry (FICCI) in 2009, only about 1 per cent of Indian graduates take advantage of student loans.

In a 2007 speech addressing issues in education, Indian Prime Minister Manmohan Singh addressed the issue of enrolment — since only 10 per cent of the relevant age group attended higher education, with the majority from urban areas.

He outlined a plan to create more ‘central’ universities to fix this problem.

The Indian university system and degrees are the same as in Canada (bachelors, master’s, and PhD) but can be divided into publicly funded (either federal or state) and privately funded institutions, as well as ‘deemed’ universities which usually have a specific focus.

It is these institutions that have been developing fast over the past decade.

According to the FICCI report, there has been a massive increase in professional institutions like medicine and pharmacology.

The number of business management institutions has nearly doubled while engineering ones have nearly tripled since 1999.

According to Ninad Athavale, who studied architecture at Pune University, these courses are seen to be more prestigious but intense than others.  

“The pressure can be quite bad sometimes, but only for certain courses like architecture, engineering, medical etc.,” he said.

“My friends who do things like arts have the most chilled-out life ever.”

Also, depending on the school in India, the style of teaching and learning is different, Athavale said.

While many institutions are innovative and of international statue, “many universities in India are still following old methods of instruction… it’s what we call kitaabi gnaayn or ‘bookish knowledge,’ ” Athavale said.

Devraj Jhalani completed his master’s in business administration at Symbiosis Institute for International Business and he said he thinks this unique situation makes for an incredible learning experience.

“India is growing and when a student gets to experience that firsthand, it is great teaching in itself,” he said.