The university and the Carleton University Students’ Association (CUSA) announced the results of the 2013-14 referendum questions April 4.

Undergraduate students voted on the questions April 2-3.

Carleton’s questions

One of the three questions asked through the university passed in the referendum.

The question asked if students support an increase of the Carleton Health Service Fee by $5 per term indexed to inflation to allow Health and Counselling Services (HCS) to add two permanent counselling positions.

The question passed with 2,765 votes in favour, 2,382 against, and 39 abstentions, according to the university’s website.

“Students are wanting counselling services,” HCS director Maureen Murdock said. “I’m really pleased I’m going to have additional resources to offer them.”

She said the number of counselling visits has increased 10 per cent since last year, and 50 per cent the last six years.

Students who are a risk to themselves can see a counsellor before they leave the clinic, but wait times can be two or three weeks for others, Murdock said.

The levy increase will hire two more full-time counsellors, adding to six already on staff, Murdock said.

The second referendum question asked if students are in favour of increasing the Clubs and Societies levy from $3.30 to $6.60 to provide effective support and funding for the growing number of campus clubs.

The question failed with 3,458 votes against, 1,676 votes for, and 52 abstentions.

The third question asked if students supported an Information Technology fee of $22.50 per term. This fee would be used to increase wireless performance and extend coverage to the entire campus. The fee would also allow students to access software available in public student labs on their personal computers.

The question failed with 3,202 votes against, 1,945 votes for, and 39 abstentions.

CUSA questions

Two referendum questions were asked through CUSA.

The first question asked if students were in favour of raising the World University Service of Canada’s levy by $1 to allow an additional refugee student to attend Carleton annually.

The question passed with 3,412 votes in favour, 1,758 votes against, and 16 abstentions, according to chief electoral officer Andrea Dark.

The second question asked if students support establishing a $1 levy to the Carleton United Nations Society.

The question failed with 3,355 votes against, 1,811 votes for, and 20 abstentions.