University of Calgary student Brett Wiese was allegedly stabbed to death in the early morning of Jan. 12 as he tried to evict members of a party he was attending, according to Calgary police.

Wiese, 21, was a third-year student at the Haskayne School of Business at the University of Calgary, according to a statement released by the university.

“This weekend, we lost a bright, hard-working student from our campus community,” university President Elizabeth Cannon said in the statement.

“We are truly saddened by this tragedy, and have extended our deepest sympathies to Brett’s family and his many friends here at the university.”

Wiese attended a party in the 5100 block of Brisebois Drive that evening. Partygoers who had previously been evicted returned at 3 a.m. to try to gain entrance again.

Police were called after the altercation escalated and resulted in the stabbing of Wiese and a second unnamed male.

The two victims were rushed to the hospital where Wiese died from his injuries. The other victim is currently recovering, police said.

An unnamed minor, 17, was taken into custody later that day. Calgary police said they arrested their second suspect, 19-year-old Mitchell Harkes, on Jan. 13.

The unnamed suspect has been charged with second-degree murder. Harkes is facing charges of second-degree murder, aggravated assault and four breaches of court orders, police said.

Friends and fellow students took to social media outlets after the tragic event to express their condolences.

“Brett Wiese, even though I only met you once you have touched my life in an indescribable way. Rest in peace,” user Leah Zielke tweeted.

Wiese’s funeral was held at the Ponoka Stampede Ground on Jan. 18, according to his obituary.