The U SPORTS women’s basketball Final 8 tournament is about to begin on March 9, and will host the top women’s basketball programs across Canada.

The Carleton Ravens women’s basketball team enters the tournament as the top seed, after winning the Ontario University Athletics (OUA) Gold Medal over the Queen’s Gaels.

The following is a small preview of all Final 8 teams, to allow fans to familiarize themselves with the teams ahead of the tournament.

1. Carleton Ravens (OUA Champions)

Regular season record: 18-1

Playoff record: 3-0

This year, the Ravens are making their return Final 8 debut after a disappointing finish in 2013, when they were knocked out in the first round by the Calgary Dinos. The Ravens will be leaning on their veteran players to perform if they want to make a run for the national title. Look out for Ravens guard Catherine Traer and forward Heather Lindsay, both selected to be on the OUA First Team all-stars, to have strong performances in the playoffs. The Ravens have also been emphasizing defence all year, if it can hold their opponents to under 60 points, they have a good chance to make it to final game.

2. Saskatchewan Huskies (Canada West Champions)

Regular season record: 15-5

Playoff record: 4-1

Last year’s national champions are returning to the tournament and hope to be back-to-back champions. Saskatchewan’s women’s basketball program has been one of the best in the country, missing only one Final 8 tournament since 2010. Last year’s championship team was 18-2, however the difference in record should not be a source of worry, as many championship teams have worse records the following season since they are focusing on the championship rather than the regular season. The Huskies have had a stellar offensive season, averaging 70 points a game, which is driven by the fourth best three-point shooting percentage in Canada. Players to watch in the tournament are Sabine Dukate, who is 14th in points-per-game with 16.2, and Sascha Lichtenwald who will draw fouls to help Saskatchewan get to the line.

3. Queen’s Gaels (OUA finalist)

Regular season record: 18-1

Playoff record: 2-1

The OUA finalists will appear in the tournament as the third seed with a chip on their shoulder as they dropped the OUA Finals, which possibly lost them the first seed in the tournament. The Gaels have one of the most star studded rosters, as four members were selected to different all-star teams. The team is known to be fundamentally sound as they are one of the best rebounding teams in the country, having the second best rebound differential in Canada. Leading the rebounding is a First Team all-star Robyn Pearson with 10.2 a game, fifth best in all of U SPORTS. Robyn Pearson and Andrea Priamo are focal points in the Gaels offence which put up 73.7 points per game.

4. McGill Martlets (RSEQ Champions)

Regular season record: 9-7

Playoff record: 2-0

Just coming off their upset RSEQ championship win against Laval, fourth seed McGill will be an interesting team to keep an eye on this Final 8 tournament. The Martlets have had a successful program in recent years, as they have not missed a Final 8 appearance since 2013. McGill’s record seems to be a mirage of their true selves, as they finished second in the five-team RSEQ league with an uncharacteristic 9-7 season. The Martlets are leaning heavily on their defence, which forces teams to take bad shots and limit opponents to a field goal percentage of 34.1 per cent. McGill will have to limit their mistakes if they would like to go deep in the Final 8 as they are prone to turning the ball over 21.6 times a game. The Martlets will have to be strong with ball control and allow their leading scorer, Alex Kiss-Rusk, to have open looks as she has a field goal percentage of 48 per cent.

5. Regina Cougars (Canada West finalist)

Regular season record: 17-3

Playoff record: 3-1

The fifth seed Regina Cougars have had a successful 2016-17 campaign, with a disappointing loss to the Huskies in the Canada West final. The Cougars have had an explosive offence which rained down 75.1 points per game, second best in the country. The Cougars are in a very interesting position, with a below average seed, the regular fan might think the Cougars are a weaker team in the tournament. However, the Cougars are ranked first in points, rebounds, rebound margin, and opponent field goal percentage. Regina have one of the most intimidating offensive presence in the tournament, they have an entire line up that can put the ball in the basket. The Cougars will have to keep the offence rolling while holding the other teams to low shooting percentages if they would like to go deep in the Final 8.

6. Cape Breton Capers (AUS Champions)

Regular season record: 13-7

Playoff record: 3-0

The Capers are representing the AUS as the sole contenders from the Atlantic coast. Cape Breton is making their first appearance in five years, as they battled it out against their bitter rivals Saint Mary’s for the chance to make Nationals. The Capers offence is led by Alison Keough which shoots a field goal percentage of 47.9 per cent and scores 19.3 per game, making her one of the most dynamic offensive players in the tournament. Many teams they will face have very stellar defences that will limit the offense flowing through Keough. The Capers will need others to step up around Keough if they would like to go deep into the tournament.

7. Laval Rouge et Or (At-large berth)

Regular season record: 14-2

Playoff record: 0-1

The historic Laval Rouge et Or program is back into the Final 8 tournament after a surprising loss against McGill in the RSEQ Championship. Laval brings an offence as smooth as peanut butter to the Final 8, they average 14.9 assist a game, as they tend to find the open woman that has access to the easiest basket. The offence is led by four of their starting five, Raphaelle Cote, Jane Gagne, Gabrielle Girard, and Sarah-Jane Marois make up for 50 of the averaged 71.6 points per game. The Rouge et Or will have to focus on the boards, the low rebounding stats and margins could be the team’s Achilles heel. Laval will want to have strong ball possession and control the pace of the game to balance the liability of poor rebounding.

8. Victoria Vikes (Host)

Regular season record: 12-8

Playoff record: 3-2

The Victoria Vikes are the host team of the tournament and as traditions goes, they are given a spot in the tournament. Which is an interesting rule to enforce in a tournament showcasing the best teams in the country. The Vikes finished sixth in the west, with a 12-8 season, in the tough Western conference. The team has average 69.8 points per game and is known for its smart offensive scheme which is designed to find open shots. Victoria falls short with its inside game, however with a negative rebound margin, it will be tough to match up against a team with a strong centre.

– Provided photo