The University of Toronto (U of T) has been ranked the top Canadian university, according to the Academic Ranking of World Universities (ARWU).

U of T tied with New York University for 27th place as the best university internationally.

The Centre for World-Class Universities at Shanghai Jiao Tong University in China ranked over 1000 universities, according to their website.

The top 500 universities were published online.

Criteria for the ranking included the amount of research output, the quality of faculty and the quality of education, according to a U of T press release.

Several different achievements were considerd in the evaluations.

This included the number of alumni and staff winning Nobel Prizes and Field Medals, number of researchers who are frequently cited, the number of articles published in journals such as  Nature and Science, and per capita academic performance of the university.

U of T has consistently ranked as the top Canadian university as well as being within the top 30 of the world’s best universities, according to a U of T press release.

U of T faired especially well in two categories: it ranked tenth in the world under the subject of Computer Science, and 13th internationally in the field of Engineering, Technology and Computer Sciences.

Twenty-three Canadian universities made the top 200 short list.

This year, the University of British Columbia ranked 39th, McGill University ranked 63rd and McMaster University ranked 92nd.

Harvard University has been the top university overall since the first edition of the ranking was released in 2003.

Carleton ranked in the 401-500 group.