Graphic by Lance Koo.

An orgy is being planned for students at the University of Alberta (U of A).

The public romp was originally planned for November but it has since been moved to January, according to Matthew James Hardy, the prospective orgy moderator. He said the date was changed because of the amount of positive feedback he’s received.

“The response has been overwhelmingly positive,” Hardy said. “People are very excited I am spearheading something like this, as they’ve always been intimidated to join the scene by themselves.”

The orgy, Hardy explains, is not about free-for-all sex, but a means for sexual and personal exploration. Hardy said he believes he’s providing people with a venue where they can safely and anonymously partake in group sex without ridicule or discomfort.

The event will be open to students as well as community members as long as they agree to be screened for safety reasons. This will ensure participants are respectful of others’ boundaries as well as identity.

“It’s whatever you make of it. Just chat and have a few drinks if you want . . . Go to the group room if you so choose,” Hardy said. “There’s also plenty of private rooms you can explore in as well. You go as far as you want.”

There will not be screening for sexually transmitted infections, Hardy said. He said he believes like-minded adults who attend will be upfront with each other as well as respectful of the orgy guidelines.

“I trust participants to use their best judgement and act accordingly. It’s not a ‘you have to sleep with everyone else’ sort of event. It’s a sexual mixer—a means to meet other like-minded people, form connections and go from there,” Hardy said.

He said he wants to put together a human sexuality and interaction group on campus to plan the event so that students who are interested are able to assist in planning as well as provide students with sexual resources and programming on campus.

Hardy plans on hosting the event at a local sex club called 4Play that has the capacity for large events. It includes group rooms as well as private ones for sexual exploration.