The University of Ottawa’s campus security unconditionally revoked a No Trespassing Notice on Jan. 11 that was issued to a teaching assistant accused of painting graffiti. The notice barred the student from campus and he said he suffered from “discrimination, interference, and humiliation,” as a result.

Joseph Hickey, a physics master’s student, said U of O’s Protection Services and U of O president Allan Rock had no right to deny him access to campus because he is a fully-registered graduate student and had TA obligations to fulfill. He said he wants his story known to students.

“It is important that Carleton students are made aware of student repression taking place at their neighbour university,” Hickey said.

Hickey said he thinks the university “backed down” and revoked the notice because of growing media attention and letters from both U of O’sGraduate Student Association and the Teaching Assistant Union (CUPE 2626) protesting the conditions of Hickey’s return to campus.

In one letter, president Sean Kelly of CUPE 2626 said U of O should revoke the notice because Hickey was not a danger to himself or others and had the right to access his workplace.

“We expect the university will not allow discrimination . . . and shall uphold the presumption of innocence,” Kelly wrote.

Protection Services issued the Trespass to Property Act Notice to Hickey on Dec. 7, 2009, accusing him of spray-painting the words “These Walls Belong to Students” on the side of U of O’s Morisset Hall during a freedom of expression event.

Hickey said he immediately e-mailed president Rock to revoke the notice, but received no response.

Claude Giroux, U of O’s director of Protection Services, said in an e-mail Hickey had to arrange with Rock to write his Dec. 9 exam but, since Hickey heard no response, he said he simply went to his exam.

“It is my right,” Hickey said.

Hickey later went to Rock’s office on Dec. 11 to set an appointment with the president.

In an e-mail to Rock, Hickey recounted how three protection agents entered the office while he spoke to the secretary and escorted him out of the building.

An Ottawa police officer then arrested Hickey, put him in handcuffs, and gave him a trespassing ticket.

Protection Services again ejected Hickey from the department of physics on Dec. 14 during the department’s Christmas party.

Lisa-Robin Murphy, administrative agent at the department of physics, told Hickey in an e-mail that the university required him to meet with Protection Services before returning for the winter semester.

However, Kelly said in his Dec. 18 letter to Rock, “The Union will not recommend that Mr. Hickey contact Protection Services, because to do so would legitimize the university’s improper application of the Trespass Act in this case.”

Hickey said he directed all his correspondence to Rock, not Protection Services.

He said the university withheld his teaching contract and threatened his job as he could not fulfill his obligations.

Vincent Lamontagne, a media relations officer at U of O, said via e-mail that the university could not comment because of “confidentiality” and "legal obligations” in this case.

Hickey still faces charges of mischief under $5,000. A trial date has not yet been set but he said he plans to plead not-guilty.

Hickey will also go to trial on March 1 to contest the trespassing ticket.