After suffering an upset loss on home ice to McGill University the Carleton Ravens completed a 4-1 comeback against the Queen’s University Gaels and a 4-3 overtime victory over the Concordia University Stingers on Jan. 10 and 11. 

Despite a power play that ranks 10th best in the Ontario University Athletics East Division, the Ravens converted two of their three power play chances as forwards Kody McDonald and Jared Steege scored two goals apiece at the Kingston Memorial Centre. 

According to head coach Shaun Van Allen, it was also one of the better cycling games he’s seen his team play this season. 

“I thought we played very well,” Van Allen said.

“I thought we moved the puck well. We supported the puck very well… I don’t think we forced things for the most part, and if we did force it for a little bit the next guy took control and we got it in deep and we got our forecheck going.”

It was a tale of back and forth action between the Ravens and Gaels to start the game as both teams ended the first period scoreless–despite Carleton outshooting Queen’s 12-8. 

The Ravens soon found themselves shorthanded at the 13-minute mark of the second period when defencemen Matt Barberis earned a 10-minute penalty and game misconduct after cross-checking Gaels forward Luke Edwards in the mouth.  

Queen’s made no mistake on capitalizing on the Ravens’ lack of discipline as forward Josh Curtis potted his first power play goal, and fourth goal of the season, off a rebound by goaltender Justin Nichols to give the Gaels a 1-0 lead two minutes later. 

That would be the last time Queen’s found the back of Nichols’ net as the fifth-year Raven and former Guelph Storm went on to make 34 saves off 35 shots. 

“He made the saves when he had to,” Van Allen said on Nichols’ performance.

“We had a few scoring chances in the first that we didn’t capitalize on. Their goalie [Richardson] made some saves, and he kind of looked like he was going to be in his zone, so we needed Nichs to make those saves.”

Carleton tied up the game with 4:44 to go in the second period after a shot by Steege trickled past Gaels goaltender Luke Richardson for his 10th goal of the season. 

Then during a 5-on-3 power play, a lucky bounce helped the Ravens take a 2-1 lead after a high shot by McDonald ricocheted off the glass behind Queen’s net and off Richardson’s back into the net. 

“Cody took it upon himself to try and get the puck to the net. We had traffic, which was good. But when a goal like that goes in, it’s fortunate, but kind of leads you to believe that you’re going to win that one,” said Van Allen.

The Ravens power play struck once again after Steege stick handled the puck past the five-hole of Richardson 24 seconds following McDonald’s goal. Steege’s second goal of the game also pushed him into a tie with fellow teammates and forward Cody Caron for the team-lead in goals this season. 

12 minutes into the final period, McDonald ripped a high slot shot into the lower-left corner of the net for his second goal of the game to seal the 4-1 win for the Ravens. It was the rookie’s first multi-goal game of his U Sports career.

With the win, Carleton earned their 17th win of the season and pushed their regular season away record to 11-2. 

“They’re a good team on both sides, but I think maybe we simplify our game a little bit on the road,” Van Allen said on his team’s success during away games. 

“We didn’t chase the puck, which I was really happy with. Our reads were really good, and that’s one thing that we’re going to have to keep building on if we’re going to make a playoff run here.”

The next night, Carleton secured the victory after beating the Concordia University Stingers 4-3 in overtime. 

After another scoreless first period on the weekend, Carleton’s Sam Meisenheimer struck first, putting the puck past Stingers goaltender Kyle Jessiman. The goal was his first of the season. 

Meisenheimer’s goal stood alone after the second round of 20 minutes when Concordia managed to make a push to try and get back into the game. It made a big difference coming into the third period. 

As they did against Queens, the Ravens found themselves in another back-and-forth battle as two goals from Carleton and three from Concordia tied the game 3-3 by the end of the final period. All their goals were scored on the power play. 

The Stingers were able to strike first, with Philippe Sanche scoring on a power play just three minutes into the third period, tying the game at one goal apiece. 

But Van Allen’s team was determined to re-grab their lead and found a way to move the puck towards veteran Alexandre Boivin who scored two goals in four minutes to give the Ravens a 3-1 lead. 

The hosts, however, weren’t giving up any time soon. Another two goals from the Stingers, one from Bradley Lalonde and the other from Liam Murphy made it past goaltender Mark Grametbauer, sending the game into overtime.

After a penalty plagued third period, both teams were entering overtime at full strength. The deadlock was broken when defensemen Evan de Haan went on a break away, flicking the puck past the goalie to secure the Ravens their victory.

With the two wins, the Ravens stay atop the Ontario University Division rankings and rise one spot to fifth in the country. 

The team has six games left until the playoffs with Nipissing University, and cross-town rivals the University of Ottawa make the next trip to the Carleton Ice house on Jan. 17 and 18.

Feature image from file.