The Carleton Raven's football team faceoff against Queen's Gaels on Saturday, Sept. 18, 2021 at the Ravens Perch in Ottawa, Ont [Photo by Spencer Colby/The Charlatan]

On May 3, two former Carleton Ravens heard their names announced at the 2022 CFL draft. Wide receiver Keaton Bruggeling and defensive back Cedrick Lavigne were selected by the Ottawa Redblacks and Winnipeg Blue Bombers, respectively.

“It has been a dream of mine since I was seven years old, when I started playing football,” Lavigne said.

Lavigne showcased his athleticism with contributions to special teams and as a defensive back for the Ravens. In his first two seasons with the Ravens, he recorded 5.5 tackles. In 2021, he hit a personal U Sports career high of 11 solo tackles followed by five assisted tackles, and 16 total tackles. 

Lavigne’s defensive abilities supported by his stats led to his Blue Bomber selection, something that he considers an honour. 

“They’re the best team in the CFL, they have the best coaching staff in the league,” Lavigne said. “Being able to learn from the best of the best is an opportunity I really like.”

He was unaware that this past season was his draft year and was surprised when he got the invite to the regional combine. His athleticism and constant training during the season helped him perform well at the combine, despite time constraints.

“I think I had only 12 days to prepare for the combine after getting the invite.” Lavigne said.

Both players largely credited their coaches at Carleton for getting them to where they are today. Lavigne gave former defensive co-ordinator and interim head coach, Paul Eddy Saint Vilien, a special thanks.

“He changed the way I do things on and off the football field,” Lavigne said. “I don’t think I’d be where I am today without him.”

Bruggeling credited offensive co-ordinator Josh Sacobie for his success. The two met at an elite football camp for Carleton prospects, where Bruggeling was making the switch from rugby to football and impressed Sacobie as a multi-sport athlete. 

“We were really impressed and [started] to project what type of player he would be in our program,” Sacobie said. “The physical skills that he had were impressive enough for our coaching staff.”

In his two years with the Ravens, Bruggeling was an integral part of the offence, recording 25 receptions for 290 yards and three touchdowns. Last year he recorded career highs in receptions (17), yards (225), and touchdowns (3). 

At his post-draft press conference, Ottawa Redblacks’ general manager Shawn Burke had a lot to say about Bruggeling’s athleticism and positive mentality. 

“He took a big jump this season where he became more of your go-to guy,” Burke said, adding that head coach Paul LaPolice and receivers coach Alex Suber will aid in Bruggeling’s development as an athlete. 

“[It’s] really just an accumulation of a lot of time, a lot of hard work and a lot of investment from outside sources like my family,” Bruggeling said. “[They] believed in me and really enabled [my career] from the very beginning.” 

Bruggeling also credited his success to his teammates.

“They’re amazing. They’re my best friends. They were the ones that really got me into the grind,” Bruggeling said.

Lavigne said he believes his athleticism and career at Carleton gave him all the skills he needs to perform at the highest level. Bruggeling said his career at Carleton gave him the chance to be the best athlete he could be.

Both Bruggeling and Lavigne are aware of the challenges pro football brings but said that they are more than ready to take them on. The Blue Bombers are next in action this friday when they take on the Hamilton Tiger-Cats. The Redblacks will play their next game against the BC Lions on June 30.

Featured Image By Spencer Colby