Carleton Ravens women's soccer player Chloe Doherty (13), left, battles for the ball against the RMC Paladins on Sunday, Oct. 3, 2021 at the Ravens Perch. [Photo by Spencer Colby/The Charlatan]

The score was close until the very end, but the Carleton Ravens women’s soccer team ultimately lost 3-2 to the Ontario Tech Ridgebacks in a nail-biter at Viso’s Field in Oshawa, Ont. on Saturday.

Carleton got on the board first with a goal from Chloe Doherty in the 16th minute. Doherty, who is tied for fourth in Ontario University Athletics (OUA) with five goals, received a strong pass up the field from Carleton goaltender Sophie Ehlebracht and kicked the ball into the net to give Carleton an early 1-0 lead.

Head coach Dom Oliveri said having a goaltender that can create scoring chances helps the offensive ability of the team.

“It certainly helps the attack. [I] just wish we could have gotten a couple more,” Oliveri said.

After Carleton scored, both teams traded good scoring chances. The goaltenders were magnificent throughout, each making game-saving plays. Ontario Tech put the pressure on and took advantage of Carleton’s turnovers, with Ridgeback Sarah Foster eventually scoring a highlight reel top-corner goal to tie the game 1-1.

Wet conditions made it difficult for players to keep their balance and a handle on the ball, resulting in turnovers on both sides. The weather also contributed to the Ridgebacks second goal, which Ehlebracht couldn’t get a handle on and gave Ontario Tech a 2-1 lead.

Just before halftime, Carleton had a strong scoring chance on a corner kick but the play was whistled down on an accidental handball. Oliveri said that missed opportunity was one of many in the game.

“We had our chances. We missed easy opportunities because we were offside,” Oliveri said. “When you don’t work in this league, you lose.”

Coach Dom Oliveri, centre, talks to a referee during a game. The Carleton Ravens women’s soccer team faced against the RMC Paladins on Sunday, Oct. 3, 2021. [Photo by Spencer Colby/The Charlatan]

Down one goal with 45 minutes left to play, Oliveri said the team’s spirits were high heading into the second half. Unfortunately for Carleton, they weren’t prepared to take on the Ridgebacks offense, which came out flying.

Ontario Tech put up a goal four minutes in, stretching their lead to 3-1.

“I think it was just one of those things where we needed to start the second half well and we didn’t,” Oliveri said.

Carleton had the makings of a comeback when Doherty scored her second goal of the game in the 87th minute, but the hope of a draw or win was dashed as the Ravens failed to add another goal in the final three minutes.

Heading into the final three games of the season, Carleton is still searching for its second win, only having beaten the RMC Paladins on Oct. 3. The loss to Ontario Tech is especially crushing, with it being the Ridgebacks’ first win this season in seven games.

“We gotta start better,” Oliveri said. “We took a while to get going and we didn’t play our style of game today.”

The Ravens will return to the Ravens Perch against the formidable 5-1-0 York University Lions on Oct. 22.