Carleton University's Chancellor, Yaprak Baltacioglu, is one of the Order of Canada recipients for 2020 [Photo: Provided via Carleton University]

At the end of 2020, research professor Jagmohan L. Humar and Carleton’s chancellor Yaprak Baltacioğlu were added to the list of over 7,000 Canadians to have been appointed to the Order of Canada.

Appointment to the Order of Canada is one of the highest merit awards Canadians can receive. The award is distributed twice a year to over 100 Canadians who work to make Canada a better place.

Humar is well-known for his research regarding earthquake engineering and earthquake-resistant design. He won the award in late November for “his contributions to structural engineering, for his commitment to education, and for his long-standing service as a community leader.”

After receiving two degrees in India, he came to Canada with the goal of continuing his studies. Over the course of his four-decade-long career at Carleton, Humar held numerous positions, including chair of the civil and environmental engineering department. After officially retiring from his position as chair in 2003, he became a distinguished research professor.

While Humar has won countless awards, his colleague, professor Siva Sivathalayan said it is Humar’s exceptional leadership that sets him apart from others in his field.

“Carleton was facing some troubled waters in the mid-1990s, and many people may not know this nowadays, but it was Jag’s vision and leadership that ensured the survival of this department,” Sivathalayan said.

When Humar heard of his appointment in November, he had no idea that he had even been nominated for the award. Nominations are reviewed by an advisory board and decided by the Governor General.

Humar’s initial reaction was shock.

“I got a call from the Governor General’s office saying, ‘You have been appointed a member of the Order of Canada,’” Humar said. “It was a very pleasant surprise.”

When asked about his reaction to Humar’s appointment, Sivathalayan said no one in the field was more deserving of this honour.

“He is truly successful and yet so humble,” Sivathalayan said. “We are extremely proud to call him a friend and a colleague.”

Carleton’s other recipient of the prestigious honour, Chancellor Baltacioğlu, was appointed a member of the Order of Canada for “her long-standing contributions to Canada’s public service, having distinguished herself in several leadership roles.”

Jagmohan L. Humar is one of the Order of Canada recipients for 2020 [Photo provided].
Baltacioğlu was made the university’s chancellor in 2018, after a long career in the federal government.

Originally from Turkey, Baltacioğlu left her home country for Canada in her early twenties. After earning her Master of Arts degree at Carleton and her corporate directors designation at the University of Toronto, she began working an entry-level job in the federal government.

Having moved up in the government, eventually working as an advisor to several prime ministers, Baltacioğlu is no stranger to awards and recognition, but said this one felt extra special.

“When they called me, I was speechless,” she said.

Over the course of her career, the chancellor said her work ethic is what brought her success.

“I don’t believe you are just born a great leader. You must be willing to work hard,” she said.

University secretary Amanda Goth, who works closely with Baltacioğlu, said the chancellor has been an extremely positive influence and mentor for her.

“Her positive attitude, humility, and empathy for others influence me every day in my work,” Goth said.

When she received the news of Baltacioğlu’s appointment, Goth was ecstatic.“I can’t honestly think of anyone more deserving of this recognition,” she said.

Baltacioğlu said she will remember the surreal experience of becoming a member of the Order of Canada for the rest of her life. Her term as chancellor was renewed by Carleton in December, and she said she is focused on her future with the university and watching others succeed.

She says the best part of her job is handing graduating students their well-earned degrees at graduation ceremonies.

“You get to see those students who worked so hard walk across the podium and it’s beautiful to see everybody’s faces and the families who are so proud of their graduates,” Baltacioğlu said. “It’s really a wonderful sight.”

Featured image provided by Carleton University.