Treepot was founded in 2010 by filmmaker Jith Paul. (Provided)

Rooted in the Ottawa film community, production company Treepot Media is dedicated to helping the indie movie scene flourish.

Treepot was founded in 2010 by filmmaker Jith Paul. He said his business’ main goal is “to create, collaborate and inspire short films, feature films, and documentaries.”

The origin of Treepot’s name, according to Paul, “comes from what a friend of mine called the sculpture at the corner of Slater and Kent street.”

From there the idea for the company grew out of Treepot.tv, a streamed online channel that broadcasts music from local indie bands, recorded live at the Indie Attic in the Byward Market.

Paul said he feels passionately about connecting with others in his field and lending a helping hand whenever possible. On Treepot’s website he said “filmmaking is a team sport.”

“Like in any team environment, what we create is greater than the sum of the parts. Members of a team complement each others’ skills and learn from each other,” Paul said.

It is clear that collaboration and teamwork are at the forefront of Treepot Media’s interactions with the community.

Treepot has numerous partnerships with local organizations where they aim to spread their films and a little enjoyment at the same time.

“The filmmaking community [in Ottawa] is small but vibrant. We all collaborate on each other’s projects. I am a member of the volunteer board of directors for SAW Video, an artist-run local not-for-profit media arts centre,” he said.

This year, Paul is mentoring a recipient of SAW Video’s annual Jumpstart Video Mentorship Program. It allows aspiring filmmakers to work with an established worker in the field, screen their film and hopefully kick off a career in film, according to Paul.

Aside from mentoring, Treepot also provides entertainment for Ottawa residents during the summer months by screening movies in Dundonald Park. According to Paul, the idea came from Centretown Movies which hosts a festival on weekends throughout the summer.

Although the City of Ottawa and Centretown Movies chose the location, Paul selects the films shown.

“Audience members arrive with picnic chairs or blankets and enjoy films under the stars,” he said.

With the upcoming release of Treepot’s short film Clean Slate, Paul said his goal is to expand their audience beyond the film community. Although the film is self-contained it also is the pilot for a web series called Mulligan’s House Band.

Paul elaborated on the plot by describing the pilot episode, which focuses on Gianna, a singer who has stage fright.

“This is the second film that I have directed and the first time I’m working with an ACTRA (union) cast,” he said.

Crowd funding, according to Paul, generated the majority of the funding for the film. He said the Kickstarter backers will be among the first to see the finished film before the public premiere screening on Sept. 13 at Club SAW.

As for what’s next for Treepot Paul said their current focus is the web series Mulligan’s House Band, adding there is no prospect of branching out beyond Ottawa at the moment.

Paulsaid that he hopes to collaborate with filmmakers outside the city eventually.