Carleton's Quidditch team faced a bittersweet end to their tournament in Buffalo after a late start and lack of daylight caused semi-finals and finals to be cancelled. (Photo by Shamit Tushakiran)

Carleton University’s Quidditch team has returned from the Ives Pond Invitational in Buffalo undefeated, despite bus trouble and a long night at the border.

Carleton, one of 12 competing teams, advanced to quarter-finals Jan. 26. Both the University of Ottawa and Queen’s University progressed to the quarter-finals as well.

Due to a late start and a lack of daylight, semi-finals and finals were cancelled.

Adelvon Aguilar, one of the team’s beaters, said he thought deciding to cancel the remaining games was in everyone’s best interest.

“It was bittersweet. We were playing really well as a team that day. We were looking forward to playing, but it was dark, cold, and we had a long drive home,” Aguilar said.

Carleton’s Quidditch team had a longer drive home than expected. According to Aguilar, their bus was having some difficulty on the trip to Buffalo, but completely stopped working on their way back. Both Carleton and UOttawa players had to await a new bus to bring them safely home.

In addition, team captain Andrea Hill said crossing the border back into Canada was a lengthy process due to the number of people on the bus.

Although Carleton didn’t get the chance to play UOttawa in Buffalo, Carleton did compete against them at their first tournament of the year on Jan. 19, the Snow Quidditch Palooza.

Hill, who founded the team in January 2010, said they are making effort to participate in as many tournaments as possible this year to keep their momentum going.

“It has traditionally been difficult to keep the Quidditch team active during the winter semester because running around outside on a broomstick against biting winds and in several feet of snow is unappealing to most,” said Hill, who also plays as a beater.

Carleton’s team will continue to train for the next two months in preparation for their next event in Toronto, which is yet to be named, according to Hill.

“Toronto is like a beacon. It’s something that we can all work towards,” Hill said.

The tournament will take place on March 21, where Carleton will get the chance to play other Canadian teams.

“We hope to face off against McGill University again,” Hill said. “The team defeated us in overtime in the Canadian Cup semi-finals and we’ve been looking forward to a rematch ever since.”

McGill remains the top-ranked team in Canada with Carleton as a close second, according to the International Quidditch Association (IQA) website. Carleton is ranked 21st among the near 300 teams who have registered with the IQA since 2005.

The IQA will have its sixth annual World Cup in Kissimmee, Florida in April.

Hill said Carleton’s team will likely not compete in this year’s World Cup since it conflicts with Carleton’s exam schedule. She said many Canadian teams will probably be unable to attend as well.

“Quidditch is bigger in the States, and they have a completely different school schedule than we do,” Hill explained.

Carleton and usual rival school, McGill, are looking at sending a team composed of players from both universities, according to Aguilar.

“We do have a competitive rivalry with McGill, but they’re having the same problem as us,” Aguilar said.