Home News Toy story for frosh

Toy story for frosh

40

School may be out for the summer, but Carleton students are already hard at work organizing orientation week festivities for this coming fall semester.

A means of introducing incoming first-years to new academic and social environments, orientation week is popular amongst Carleton students who want to get involved with their school, as well as make new friendships and have fun.

“I love orientation week, and I have been involved for four years prior to this one,” said David Tapiero, vice-president (student life) for the Carleton University Students’ Association (CUSA).

“Orientation week taught me a lot about campus, and what Carleton and CUSA had to offer. I would strongly recommend the program to all first year students.”

This year’s theme is “Ravens’ Toy Chest,” where groups are named after childhood favourites like yo-yos, action figures, and Slinkys.
Tapiero said the theme came from an original idea of pop-culture in the 90s. He also said the week’s format will be similar to last year, with minor changes.

“We have revamped [Expo Carleton] and we will have the cast of MTV’s The Buried Life come in and talk about their show and their experiences. There will also be a comedy showcase, as well as the popular outdoor concert. The performer is still top secret, as we’re waiting for confirmation from our headliner. I hope to be able to release that information soon.”