(File photo by Willie Carroll)

Philip Scrubb, guard, basketball:

Amongst his teammates, Scrubb is a highly regarded member of the men’s basketball team.

Tyson Hinz, a fifth-year forward, describes Scrubb as selfless, saying “he always wants what’s best for the team and not so much [himself].”

With numerous awards including the Peter Mullins Trophy for rookie of the year in 2011 and three straight Mike Moser Memorial Trophies, which are presented to the most outstanding male basketball player in Canadian Interuniversity Sport, Scrubb has dominated university basketball.

With all of this recognition, Scrubb continues to stay grounded, according to Hinz.

“He never flaunts [the awards] or brags about them,” he said. “It’s all about the team for him.”

Hinz said Scrubb helps younger players with the technical side of basketball, demonstrating his high work ethic both in game and in practice.

“He does a lot of stuff behind the scenes too in terms of helping lead and helping the young guys get better and feel more comfortable,” Hinz said.

During the game, he lets the team know what is going to happen and what the plan is defensively, forward Jean Emmanuel Pierre-Charles said.

Pierre-Charles said Scrubb’s dedication and hard work encourages the players to be better.

“Off the court and on the court he’s always proactive,” Pierre-Charles said. “He’s always trying to find ways to get yourself in a better position and be successful.”

“He really cares about the team’s success,” he said.