Devaney had a spectacular season for Carleton’s men’s fencing team right from the get-go.

“He took himself to a new level of fencing for himself and he had good achievements,” Devaney’s coach Eli Sukunda said.

He said Devaney has been constantly improving since before he even got to coach him.

“He’s grown, he’s become a lot more co-ordinated with his height,” Sukunda said.

Sukunda praised Devaney for his work ethic because he is not only dedicated to the Carleton team but also to tournaments outside of Canada.

“He fenced internationally. He went to England and Europe a couple of times and he fenced down in the States and North American circuit tournaments, and he trained hard this year. I’d probably say five times a week,” Sukunda said.

At this year’s Ontario University Athletics (OUA) championships, Devaney was a part of the men’s foil team that took home the gold medal.

“When I was watching him personally at the OUA championships he was in the final and he took on a very experienced fencer, and was losing in the second period,” Sukunda said. “Not by a great deal, but he seemed to get his rhythm, and after that it was basically lights out for the other guy cause once Geoff got his strategy in order, he was just able to take the opponent apart one touch after the next.”

Devaney was also awarded the Charles Walter trophy as the men’s foil champion at the OUA championship, and played a key role in the men’s fencing team back-to-back OUA championship victories in the past two years.