Colouring books for adults are gaining popularity as an accessible form of art therapy across North America.

Ottawa-based art therapist Jennifer Nicol provides art therapy and watercolour classes through her company, Flying Colours. Nicol said she thinks the increasing popularity of colouring books for adults is great.

“It allows art to become accessible to people who would not normally have access to it,” Nicol said. “I consider art in any form that makes people feel good as therapeutic.”

Other art therapists have acknowledged colouring books for adults as helpful, but not a definite form of art therapy. Regardless, the trend has reached Carleton.

On Nov. 18, as part of Carleton’s Thrive Week, a free colouring session was held for students in the Raven’s Roost.

Residence fellow Emily Harrison said colouring is a productive way to take a study break.

“It’s really great to be able to sit down and do something mindful . . . take a break from studying,” Harrison said. “You’re putting your energy into creating something.” Harrison added it is a good way to relax before exams.

“We’re trying to give students that last bit of support and energy before exams begin,” Harrison said. “The event is a great opportunity to talk to others in a nurturing community environment.”

Césan Martin-Asmus, one of the students at the event, said she thinks colouring is motivating.

“I actually have an adult colouring book I got from Chapters, and I find that if I don’t want to study, and I don’t want to feel lazy, I’ll colour, so I’m still keeping my mind going,” Martin-Asmus said. “I get to feel productive and like I’m accomplishing something, and it actually motivates me throughout my day.”

Martin-Asmus added that colouring as an adult brings about feelings of nostalgia.

“Everyone loves colouring as a kid,” Martin-Asmus said. “So why can’t you transfer it to when you’re older?”