Photo by Zachary Novack.

If 2013 was the year of the Ravens’ return to the Canadian Interuniversity Sport (CIS) football scene, 2014 was the rebirth of the competitive Ravens.

Steve Sumarah’s team fought their way to a 4-4 record in a season filled with highs and lows, as Carleton’s Panda Game victory over the rival University of Ottawa Gee-Gees was somewhat dampened by the letdown of missing the playoffs due to a 37-15 loss to the Queen’s University.

Despite missing the playoffs, the Ravens had multiple players named to the Ontario University Athletics (OUA) all-star and all-rookie teams.

Receiver Nate Behar was named a first-team OUA all-star after averaging over 100 receiving yards a game and hauling in seven touchdown receptions as a sophomore.

“It’s always nice to be recognized, but I’m a perfectionist—we all are here—and I’m not happy until the team has success,” he said.

The London, Ont. native’s 276 yards in the 2014 Panda Game, capped by a game-winning Hail Mary touchdown, will go down as the play of the season for the Ravens.

“I’ve got to give Dexter [Brown] credit for that one. He got knocked out pretty good on that final play to deflect that ball to me,” Behar said.

On the other side of the ball, defensive back Nathaniel Hamlin was named a first-team defensive OUA all-star after compiling 54.5 tackles, good for seventh in the country.

Cornerback Tunde Adeleke was also named a second-team defensive OUA all-star, as he compiled 42 tackles and snagged two interceptions.

“I know how competitive and good those guys are. Going up against them everyday in practice is tough,” Behar said with a laugh.

Steve Sumarah’s team is notable for its youth—all three players named to OUA all-star teams are entering their third years with at least two more years of eligibility.

The Ravens were also well-represented on the OUA all-rookie team, with one offensive and two defensive players nominated.

On the offensive line, guard KC Bakker played five games for the Ravens, while defensive end Kene Onyeka and defensive tackle Jeremy Rioux also made impacts as freshmen with 15 tackles and five and a half tackles respectively.

“We’re bringing in the right players, guys who are hungry and ready to compete everyday,” Behar said. “We’re not bringing in guys who would worry about being low on the depth chart. We’re bringing in guys who are ready to learn and contribute at this level.”