Photo by Jolson Lim.

Thousands of people dressed in green clothing and waving signs marched through downtown Ottawa on Nov. 29, demanding action on climate change on the eve of the United Nations climate change conference in Paris.

Called the “100% Possible Climate March,” the goal of the event was to pressure the federal government to strike a deal with other countries and create a policy to reduce carbon emissions worldwide. Organizers are also calling for Canada to move toward 100 per cent renewable energy by 2050.

The march began at Ottawa city hall and ended at Parliament Hill. Before starting, environmentalist David Suzuki gave a speech to the energetic crowd. Suzuki stressed the urgency of needing to address climate change and compared the challenges facing the environment to the challenges of the Second World War.

“There was only one choice, there was no choice—we had to fight back and we had to win. That’s where we are today,” he said.

The protest brought together grandparents clutching newborns, entire families dressed in green, and university students holding placards demanding a greener economy.

After the march, organizers reported more than 25,000 people attended the march. Hundreds of students were bussed in from Quebec and other parts of Ontario.

Among the co-organizers was local environmental advocacy group Ecology Ottawa. The march took place on the same day as hundreds of other demonstrations around the world.

Nina Lennie and Madeline Lachance, Grade 12 students who volunteered at the march, said they got involved because they want the Canadian government to take tougher action on global warming.

“They’ve been debating about what they’re going to do on climate change for years. We want change now,” Lennie said.

Anna Dubinski, the Canadian Federation of Students’ (CFS) national treasurer, spoke to protesters on the steps of Parliament Hill after the event. She said students are at the forefront of environmental campaigns and 20 Canadian campuses have lobbied their universities to divest from the fossil fuel industry. She said $2.6 trillion is being divested already.

“Students are not apathetic, young people are not lazy,” she said. “We are at the forefront of the climate change movement and we will not rest until we see the sustainable future that I know is 100 per cent possible.”

Delegates from 150 countries will be meeting in Paris from Nov. 30 to Dec. 11 to try to hammer down an accord on reducing the amount of carbon emissions worldwide.

Scientists have said there is an urgent need to address climate change before serious catastrophes occur, such as the flooding of major coastal cities.

The National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration projects 2015 will be the hottest global year on record, and that trend is expected to continue with each passing year if no serious action is taken to address climate change.

Dave Beddoe, a volunteer for Gatineau’s chapter of the environmental organization Greenpeace, said he is hopeful for the future and the prospect of making progress towards a more environmentally friendly economy.

“Positive change is well within our means—we don’t have to despair about climate or politics or anything. Things are looking up,” Beddoe said.

Kevin Sreih, a second-year Concordia University student, arrived by bus from Montreal. He marched at the front of the procession wearing a blue cape with a picture of the planet Earth on it.

“What [politicians] have to do now is probably take us a little bit more seriously,” he said. “Because it’s 2015.”