People place their poppies on the Canadian Tomb of the Unknown Soldier in Ottawa, Ont. on Thursday, Nov. 11, 2021. [Photo by Spencer Colby/The Charlatan]

Turnout for the 2021 National Remembrance Day ceremony in downtown Ottawa was vastly different compared to last year with thousands of masked Canadians crowding near the National War Memorial to pay their respects.

The ceremony had many of its usual traditions, with people placing poppies on the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier and members of community groups laying wreaths on the memorial’s base.

In attendance were important guests such as Gov. Gen. Mary Simon, Prime Minister Justin Trudeau and Josée Simard, this year’s National Silver Cross Mother whose daughter, Cpl. Karine Blais, was killed in Afghanistan in 2009. The Silver Cross Mother represents all the mothers in Canada whose children have passed away while serving Canada.

The appearances were slightly delayed due to a suspicious package found in the vicinity of the ceremony that was later determined to be an unattended bag. 

At 11 a.m., the crowd fell silent as bugles and bagpipes played O Canada. Cannons struck once a minute until 11:11 a.m. and two Royal Canadian Air Force CF-18s flew across the sky to start the ceremony.

During the 2020 ceremony, COVID-19 health restrictions prevented more than 100 people from gathering outdoors. The Royal Canadian Legion and Ottawa Police asked people to watch the ceremony from home.

The larger turnout this year was welcomed by attendees like Ryan Marshall, a master sailor with the Canadian Joint Operations Command (CJOC) unit. 

“I was impressed and surprised with how many people showed up. I think it was still pretty full and it’s a good turnout,” Marshall said.

Nujma Bond, communication manager for the Royal Canadian Legion National Headquarters, said the legion was pleased with how the ceremony unfolded.

“It is always special when Canadians can attend a ceremony in person, not only to have the opportunity to meet veterans who have served but to thank them directly for their commitment to this country,” Bond said.

The ceremony brought some attendees to tears because of how much the pandemic has changed the world over the past year. 

“This year is particular for me, simply because it’s nice to see crowds be able to come out and celebrate and remember with [the] Forces. It is such a big event for us, but it’s nice for everybody,” said Thomas Brown, an attendee and current member of the Canadian Armed Forces. 

Bond said the pandemic has shown what life is like with restrictions to freedom and has “provided a deeper understanding of what freedom and its absence really means.”

“On this day and throughout the year, appreciate your freedoms,” Bond said.

Like Bond, Marshall emphasized the importance of appreciating the freedom that veterans and service people have fought for.

“One of the key tag lines of the campaign for Remembrance Day is ‘Lest we forget’. So just don’t forget, don’t take it for granted,” Marshall said.