Jeeda Abu Zaid, a psychology student at Carleton, said her search for housing has been stressful. An international student from Jordan, she said she’s not sure she’ll sign a lease in Ottawa because of COVID-19. 

“If I go back home and classes are still online by the fall semester, I’m going to be staying there,” Abu Zaid said. 

“Now, this changes everything,” she added. “I’m probably going to end up staying in a dorm again because I can’t sign a lease if I’m just going to be staying home for the semester.” 

Abu Zaid said she’s been using FaceTime to tour potential housing, because visiting strangers’ homes is “kind of impossible at this point.” 

Quitterie Mamin, a student at the University of Ottawa, is also using FaceTime to show potential subtenants her sublet, which can make it difficult for people to connect with the space. 

“Even if it’s pretty representative of what it’s gonna be, they cannot visualize themselves more than being there in person.” — Quitterie Mamin, University of Ottawa student

Mamin said two subtenants have cancelled due to complications because of COVID-19. First, a French student could not come to Ottawa for a job due to the Canadian border closure, and the second person fell through after their internship in Ottawa was delayed due to COVID-19, she said. 

While Mamin added she’s had a few people express interest, she said more people were interested a few weeks earlier. 

“Because all the internships are getting cancelled and some parents want their kids to stay home with them, it’s more difficult,” she said. 

Mamin said if she doesn’t find someone this week she will lower the rent on her sublet, even though “it’s a bit irritating.”

Adaleide Kissoon, also a student at the University of Ottawa, said she subletted her residence in February and 10 people replied as soon as she put up her listing. However, after the university closed most residences in March, Kissoon had to sublet the place she planned to move into in May. 

“I obviously knew before I posted any listings, that this is a terrible time and I’m not the only one who can’t afford rent right now, but I thought I would try anyways.” — Adaleide Kissoon, University of Ottawa student

She said her listing has been up for two weeks and she’s yet to find someone. 

Kissoon added she’s relying on the money from the sublet to fund her own rent. 

“I’m kind of scrambling to find a job and pay,” she said. 

“Just the fact that nobody is responding and because I’m not working yet, I don’t have all the money to pay rent come May 1.” — Adaleide Kissoon, University of Ottawa student

Steve Pomeroy, a housing policy research consultant at Carleton University, said if students do not find subtenants for the summer, they will still have to pay rent. 

However, Pomeroy added the Ontario government has put evictions on hold. If tenants cannot make rent, they and their landlords will have to negotiate arrangements, he said. 

“Either the landlord agrees to defer the rent payment until later, they might give them a break on them if they’re a student,” Pomeroy said. 

“But, they’re at the mercy of the landlord.” — Steve Pomeroy, housing policy research consultant

The Ontario provincial government has said while landlords can still give notice of eviction, the Landlord and Tenant Board will not be hearing eviction applications or releasing eviction orders for the time being. 

On its website, the provincial government encouraged landlords to “establish fair arrangements to keep tenants in their homes.”

Featured image from file.