The Vagina Monologues was a bold and passionate series of performances that encapsulated the most prominent features of the feminist movement in an entertaining and hilarious form.

Not to be exclusive in its title, the play catered to all types of people in the audience. Men and women as well as older generations and millennials were engaged and responsive to the show.

The play, which followed a structured series of monologues, musical performances, and spoken word poetry, was easy to follow, informative and entertaining. From the very first segment, the audience was made to feel as if we were are at a slumber party with 20 of our closest girlfriends.

The Vagina Monologues did an excellent job at centering a production around a subject that is often not openly discussed, and the audience seemed to find it refreshing. Because of its highly sexual content, I can imagine for many, a show so explicit may bring about feelings of discomfort or cause some to feel overwhelmed by the amount of information being presented. However, this just proves the necessity of shows that will outwardly discuss women’s issues and cultivate enthusiasm for gender equality.

The show featured monologues and skits that discussed topics such as domestic violence, LGBTQ+ issues, sex workers, and of course, female anatomy. The most prominent theme explored, however, was the stigma surrounding sexually active women and the general discomfort around women promoting sexual pleasure. Delivered in an ironic, satirical form, the audience was left laughing and nodding their heads in agreement at the cast’s dramatic renditions

The range of topics explored in this play were noteworthy. Some raised eyebrows, others evoked applause or laughter. Some moments became so intense that the room was entirely silent, and the actress on stage had every audience member on the edge of their seat. As a whole, the show’s script and delivery were commendable. One of the most memorable moments being when one woman demanded that the world should “show [her] vagina some hospitality!”

A variety of topics was explored through different types of performances. One segment, “The Women Who Liked to Make Vaginas Happy,” featured three female sex workers whose clientele were exclusively women, and did an excellent job of making the audience feel comfortable with a strong sexual theme. “Workshop” was a segment that involved three women discovering their sexualities and comically comparing their vaginas to flowers and shells. With excellent and effective deliveries, the clear message of these monologues was easily ingested, despite intense subject matter.

Another important thing to note about this production was the excellent cast. An incredibly diverse group of women including all sizes, ethnicities and traits, their ability to command the attention of the room was extraordinary. While many people may feel uncomfortable talking the kind of content The Vagina Monologues included, this group of women performed in a way that was entertaining, honest, and brave. While individuals were on stage playing their parts, their fellow cast members hooted and hollered from the sidelines in encouragement; exemplifying the unity and chemistry they shared on and off the stage.

As a whole, this was a show that proved itself theatrically engaging, comedic, and emotional. But by the final sketch, it proved to be much more; while anecdotes and easy laughs may fade from memory, the powerful message this production conveys has left quite the impression. 

Photo by Valentina Figureora