Breaking Bad’s RJ Mitte made his return to Carleton on Nov. 20.

Mitte, more commonly known as Walter Junior from AMC’s hit series Breaking Bad, returned to speak to students about his disability and his life.

When asked why he decided to return, Mitte said he “had a great time last year.”

“The people are great, so why not?” he added. “When I really enjoy something and someone gives me the offer to come back and do it again, I’m all for it.”

The event took place in the Kailash Mital Theatre in Southam Hall, and was hosted by the Carleton Disability Awareness Centre (CDAC) and the Campus Activity Board (CAB).

Mitte is a 23-year-old actor, producer, and model. He is from Lafia, Louisiana and spent a lot of time in Texas due to his parents’ separation. He was diagnosed with cerebral palsy at the age of three and wore leg braces until he was 13. He used crutches for most of his childhood, and was put in occupational therapy, speech therapy, and physical therapy.

Cerebral palsy, often referred to as CP, is commonly caused by brain trauma or injury before, during, or immediately after childbirth.

Growing up, Mitte said people thought he was weird, and they treated him differently because of it. He said he never allowed his insecurities to determine what he could or couldn’t do. He said he believed “can’t” was a mindset, and “believing you couldn’t do something was being afraid.”

“I think the most important and influential life lesson is to always show kindness and generosity to what you do. It takes so much more energy to be mean than it is to be nice,” Mitte added.

Mitte said he believes it’s important to talk to students because “everyone is a student and we’ll always be students—we’re always learning and growing.” He added all students have the opportunity to change people’s perspectives and beliefs.

Despite being an event marketed for students who had participated in Fall Orientation, many people attended, including first-year civil engineering student Dennis Klcak.

“I love Breaking Bad, and I’m a huge fan of RJ Mitte,” Klcak said.

Second-year communications student and CAB member Sarah Quinney said she liked that the event was free.

“[Mitte] is insightful, and a really nice person and everyone knows who he is,” she said.

CDAC coordinator and fourth-year journalism student Nathan Bragg said Mitte is a “compelling person.”

“Most students can learn things from him,” Bragg added. “We’re trying to create conversation and change attitudes. We want it to be relatable for everyone, and speeches like his really help and are important.”