Fans are seen at a Sept. 11 women's rugby game against the Université de Montréal Carabins in Ottawa, Ont. This is the first Ravens varsity game in 552 days following the cancellation of the RESQ and OUA seasons due to COVID-19. [Photo by Spencer Colby/The Charlatan]

After more than 550 days, Carleton University is welcoming back coaches, players and fans to sporting events on campus.

Many students are looking forward to the return of live sports at Carleton, including Kevin Caswell, a fourth-year communications and sociology student.

“It’s nice to be able to socialize and watch live sports in a live atmosphere because it’s not the same as sitting behind a computer,” Caswell said.

For on-campus games, capacity will be limited to 25 per cent and social distancing guidelines will be in effect. The Panda Game, scheduled for Oct. 2 at TD Place, will have a capacity of 15,000 fans.

Justin Huang, a third-year criminology and criminal justice student, said he thinks the limited capacity will be offset by excited fans who have been away from sports for so long.

“Since Carleton has really big school pride, especially in games against [the University of Ottawa], I feel like even at 25 per cent our pride and our energy will feel 100 per cent,” Huang said.

Others are less convinced the capacity limits won’t hinder the atmosphere at games. Gavin Woodburn, a third-year geophysics student, said he won’t be expecting the typical sports environment when attending a game this year.

“One of the biggest things that gives the excitement to a sports game is having a lot of people that are passionate about the sport in the stands,” Woodburn said.

Carleton’s women’s rugby team was the first to take to the pitch on Sept. 11 in a match against the Université de Montréal. Although the Ravens lost 17-5, fans made sure to be heard with several chants breaking out between Carleton and Montreal fans.

Roberta Drummond, a team captain in her fifth year of eligibility, spoke after the game about her return to the pitch.

“It doesn’t feel real. This morning I woke up and it didn’t feel like a game was actually happening until we got here and the first whistle blew [and] I looked in the stands and the fans were back,” Drummond said.

After almost two years of setbacks and cancelations due to COVID-19, fans also recognize the need to cheer teams on.

“For the players on the ice or on the field, it’s going to be a huge boost for them knowing that people are there wanting to watch them,” Woodburn said. “I think it’ll bring more competitiveness to the game.”