Octopus books closes down for the day. [Photo by Tim Austen]

The health concerns of COVID-19 are just one of the many fears small business owners are facing.

Last week, Premier Doug Ford declared a state of emergency for Ontario due to the novel coronavirus outbreak, ordering all non-essential stores and services to close starting March 24 at 11:59 p.m. in an attempt to slow the spread of COVID-19.

Among those non-essential stores forced to close was one of Ottawa’s small bookstores, Octopus Books.

“Like many local independent businesses in Ottawa and across the country, we won’t get through this challenging time without the support of our community,” said the store owner, Lisa Greaves, in a statement posted to the Octopus Books Instagram, just over a week ago.

Located in the Glebe, Octopus Books celebrated its 50th anniversary last year, but Greaves said she fears it may be its last.

Greaves informed customers via social media that in order to reopen, the store needs to bring in at least $10,000 in sales by the end of the month. 

The customers of Octopus Books are stepping up to the challenge, proving their loyalty during this tough time.

“We’ve had this incredible response from people all over the country: students, professors, and customers who have been shopping here for years. People have been buying gift certificates and books online,” said Greaves. “It’s been really heartwarming.”

Emily Turk is just one of the many loyal customers from Ottawa who is sharing her support for the store. 

“When my kids were born, Octopus provided their first baby books. When my mom turned 65, Octopus suggested the perfect birthday gift. And during the pandemic, when they needed our help, we ordered as much as we could,” said Turk.

With over 2,000 titles in stock, Octopus Books is offering book deliveries, gift cards, and the option for book pick-ups at their storefront mailbox on Third Avenue. 

The outpouring of support has made store owner Greaves busier than ever processing and delivering orders.

Nadia Rehman is a former student at Carleton University, who purchased many of her textbooks during her studies at Octopus Books, saying the store contributed so much to her university degree. 

“I hope that people recognize that these businesses are pillars in the community. They are here to help us, and we should be doing the same,” said Rehman.

Although she no longer lives in Ottawa, when Rehman first heard that her favourite book store was in trouble, she immediately ordered $100 worth of books from its website.

Octopus Books has a close relationship with many students and professors at Carleton, who use the store to sell many required textbooks for their classes. 

“I have always used community bookstores for my course books. It is a way to support local business and build bridges between the academic community and the city,” said Dr. Jennifer Evans, a history professor at Carleton.

Evans believes the closure of Octopus Books would be a terrible thing for Carleton and Ottawa, explaining that large chain stores can’t replicate the personalized attention and care offered by local booksellers that she wants her students to receive when buying their textbooks. 

“Small independent bookstores are the lifeblood of any intellectual community,” said Evans, who believes the best college towns have connections with vibrant local bookstores.

Madalena Santos is a criminology professor at Carleton, who also sends her students to Octopus Books for textbooks and novels to support the smaller bookstore.

“I am concerned about Octopus Books shutting down because I support small businesses such as this which work to build community,” said Santos. “In Octopus’ case, it provides important titles that people might not be exposed to otherwise.”

Octopus offers a wide range selection of books about feminism, poverty issues, and issues of homelessness and food security. 

“The issues that the books at Octopus talk about are really important right now,” said Greaves. 

“Please focus on marginalized groups, because they could really suffer right now during this crisis. We need to keep those people and those issues at the forefront of our minds.”

Besides providing access to books regarding human rights issues, Octopus Books is using its platform to raise money for women shelters in Ottawa, asking for donations from customers during the pandemic.

The stores’ dedication to helping the community is what attracts so many customers who appreciate the local businesses’ impact on Ottawa.

“My family and I get more than just goods from Octopus—when we shop there, we get to connect with our neighbours, to social justice ideas and events, and to people who care more about their community,” said Turk.

According to a survey released Tuesday by the Canadian Federation of Independent Businesses, over one-third of small businesses in Canada are unsure they will be able to reopen their doors due to the economic impact of coronavirus.

“Small, independent businesses like Octopus Books matter because they are more than just businesses. They are loyal, creative, community-minded folks, working to make our neighbourhoods feel more like neighbourhoods,” said Turk.

On Monday, Prime Minister Justin Trudeau announced that all Canadian businesses that have seen at least a 30 per cent drop in revenues due to the COVID-19 pandemic will receive a 75 per cent wage subsidy of each employee’s wage and guaranteed interest-free loans.

The new federal plan could help small businesses like Octopus Books stay afloat.

Over a week after making the initial post, Greaves announced on Instagram that she had reached her goal for the month of March.

“Octopus is really grateful for the kindness and financial support we have received,” said Greaves. 

“Wherever you live, it’s really important to remember that the small businesses around you are going to need your support now and in the future.”

Photo by Tim Austen.