With Black History Month in full swing, upcoming annual show The Gift of Jazz aims to celebrate the history of jazz music and musicians in Canada.

This year’s narrator, Sekou Kaba, went from being an attendee just last year to now being the voice of the show.

The show tells the story of jazz through song, from its beginnings in the cotton fields and in gospel music.

At last year’s show, Kaba, a Canadian Olympic hurdler and motivational speaker, was in the stands.

“Now, I get to have a role and have a part in how the story’s told. I’m looking forward to stepping up to that plate and presenting it as well as I can,” he said.

Kaba attended The Gift of Jazz last year and incidentally sat beside the director of the show. Three months later she contacted Kaba asking him to be the narrator of this year’s event.

The event excited him the previous year and he wanted to pass that along, so Kaba immediately agreed.

“I’m looking forward to seeing the reaction of the people. Because last year, I was in the stands and I was loving it and jumping up and down and singing along,” he said. “It was amazing I had a good time. And to see people enjoy themselves—that’s what I’m looking forward to the most.”

Kaba said he understands the importance of events like The Gift of Jazz and Black History Month.

“The month means a lot. It’s an opportunity to educate, an opportunity to reflect and an opportunity to do impactful events and purposeful things to relive the lives of those before us,” he said.

Kaba said he believes the month is about raising awareness of issues of racism so that those in future generations can enjoy a better world.

The Gift of Jazz uses the power of music “to make sure that those that come after us have a better life in this system, which simply started because of a skin colour issue,” he said.

Kaba said the show is an “excellent way to celebrate black legacy.” He added that the artists who are featured have all faced struggles in the music industry and their own lives but have persevered to fight against racism. The Gift of Jazz honours their hardships and makes the audience appreciate the people of the past.

Now, Kaba hopes to inspire a new generation of young, Black Canadians who have the chance to make the world a better place for their grandchildren.

“I hope it creates a buzz, some sort of happiness to get those kids on YouTube and research one of the names or one of the songs that resonate with them,” he said.

Kaba said the younger audience can learn more about these artists and carry on their legacy, to ensure Black history is never forgotten.