Now that the 2018-19 season is finishing up, the Charlatan is giving readers a chance to vote for their top five Carleton athletes. The athletes included in this list were selected by the Charlatan’s Sports Editor based on their performance and statistics from this past year.

Online voting will be open until April 2, at charlatan.ca.

Dario Conte

Men’s soccer

Dario Conte finished his second season with the Ravens men’s soccer by helping the team capture the silver medal in the Ontario University Athletics (OUA) playoffs and the bronze medal at this year’s U Sports men’s soccer championships.

The midfielder was named the MVP of the OUA East Division and a first-team All-Canadian after collecting three goals, four assists, and 33 shots during the season.

Conte’s best statistical game was a 7-0 win against Trent University on Sept. 2, when he put up a goal, an assist, and five shots on net.

Eddie Ekiyor

Men’s basketball

Nobody could stop Eddie Ekiyor this season. The third-year forward was dominant on the Ravens men’s basketball team, averaging nearly a double-double per game. He, alongside the rest of his teammates, led the Ravens to another OUA championship and won his second U Sports gold medal since coming to Carleton in 2016.

Ekiyor constantly used his 6’8 frame to get into high percentage shooting situations, which is why he ranked second in the entire league in field goal percentage. Ekiyor also uses his big stature to grab rebounds, as he ranks top 20 in both offensive and defensive rebounds in the OUA.

Ekiyor’s efforts also earned him a spot on the first-team All-Canadian roster, as well as MVP of the U Sports men’s basketball championships.

Josh Burnside

Men’s hockey

Josh Burnside is a third-year defenseman for the Ravens and has flourished as an elite playmaker in his last two years with the Ravens. The third-year defenceman finished with 21 points in 26 regular season games this season—with 18 of those points coming from assists.

The second team OUA All-Star also produced six points in the Queen’s Cup playoffs to help the Ravens win the OUA bronze and qualify for the U Sports University Cup championships.

Katelyn Steele

Women’s hockey

Katelyn Steele wrapped up her fifth and final season as goalie for the women’s hockey team. Steele saw and stopped 541 shots this year which ranked her sixth among all goalies in the OUA.

As the “heart and soul” of the team, Steele also rocked a .920 save percentage and a goals against average of 3.03.

Steele’s best performance came in a 3-2 shootout loss to the McGill University Martlets on Nov. 17, when she stopped 55 out of 58 total shots.

Kene Onyeka

Football

Kene Onyeka is a defensive end for the Ravens football team, and led the OUA in sacks (seven) and sack yards (42). Onyeka is explosive off the snap: he always brings pressure to quarterbacks and, more often than not, tackles the quarterback or gets him to throw the ball away.

The Ottawa REDBLACKS draft pick was influential to the success the Ravens had this season, as they made the playoffs but were eliminated by the Western University Mustangs in the OUA quarterfinal.

Onyeka was also named Lineman of the Year for back-to-back years after winning the award for the first time in 2017.

Aidan Kirkham

Nordic Skiing

In his third season with the Ravens Nordic Ski team, Aidan Kirkham was named to the 2019 Team Canada FISU Winter Universiade squad, and was one of two members of the men’s team to be named an OUA All-Star.

Kirkham flourished at the OUA Nordic Ski Championships by earning three gold medals in the men’s classic 7.5-km free individual start, the classic mass, and the men’s 3×3 75 km free relay. His efforts helped the Ravens to capture another first -place finish overall and back-to-back provincial titles.

Nicole Gilmore

Women’s basketball

Nicole Gilmore is a leader for the Ravens women’s basketball team who will be missed. The fifth-year point guard averaged 7.2 rebounds per game last season, which ranked top 10 in the OUA this season.

Gilmore went on to earn second team All-Canadian honours and was named a first team OUA All-Star.

This was Gilmore’s last season at Carleton. She finishes her career as third overall in the Ravens women’s basketball all-time scoring leaders.

Marcus Anderson

Men’s basketball

The fourth-year guard capped off another stellar season for the Ravens by winning the OUA and U Sports Defensive Player of the Year awards in back-to-back seasons.

Anderson was one of the outspoken leaders of the men’s basketball team this season and was a defensive nightmare for any opposing player who paired against him.

He finished the regular season ranked fourth in the OUA for total steals (47) and ninth for steals per game (1.7). He also helped anchor a Ravens defence which finished with the lowest points per game total and ranked third in total defence in the OUA.

Zoë Williams 

Nordic Skiing

Fourth-year nordic skier Zoë Williams had another tremendous season after winning two gold medals in the individual races at this year’s OUA Nordic Skiing Championships.

Williams also took home OUA Athlete of the Week honours and was named an OUA All-Star after her performance at the championships.

Williams was also one of eight Canadian athletes selected to represent Team Canada at the FIS Cross Country World Cup Finals, and won gold for Nakkertok in the women’s team sprint event at the Canadian Ski Championships.

Cameron Goodkey

Men’s curling

Entering the third season as part of the men’s curling team and sixth curling season overall, team skip Cameron Goodkey put curling on the map for Carleton as the team captured its first U Sports men’s curling gold in program history—he was named second-team All-Canadian.

Goodkey also captained his team to winning the OUA championships this season and was a co-recipient of OUA Athlete of the Week on Mar.  24 after his team finished the round robin at nationals with a 5-2 record.