Taffe Charles
Women’s Basketball
968 votes

Taffe Charles, head coach of the women’s basketball team, is the Readers’ Choice coach of the year for 2017-18.

With a total of 968 votes, Charles received 99 per cent of the 977 total votes cast. This is Charles’ eleventh season as the women’s basketball team head coach and also his most successful year with the team

“He’s a really good guy. He really wants you to focus on bettering yourself at the end of the day. On the court, he’s very intense. Definitely is the ‘will to win’ type of guy so it really helps the team get that mojo together,” said former Ravens guard Alicia Racine, who played with the team in the 2015-16 season.

Charles coached the Ravens to their second straight appearance at the U Sports nationals, where the previous year they placed third overall. This year was different for the team as they were able to battle their way to a first place finish. The Ravens dominated Ontario University Athletics basketball, going undefeated over 23 games and winning the Critelli Cup for the second year in a row.

“He’s probably the most competitive human being I’ve ever met and I think that’s why we do so great. He just pushes us to be better. Every single drill, he wants us to be better. And without the drive . . . it would be really hard to get to where we’ve gotten to,” said Ravens forward Catherine Traer.

Taffe Charles was also named the U Sports women’s basketball coach of the year, as well as earning the Carleton Coach of the Year award.

Photo provided